Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to put a second pier

Gina

Bored some holes in the block and done a test fitting to see where the holes need more boring out.

Two views of the underside of the tripod top block showing the chewed out holes.

post-13131-0-38735500-1382288209_thumb.j  post-13131-0-27793600-1382288215_thumb.j

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After some more boring out it almost fits perfectly.  I'm almost there.  Now I need to drill "pour holes" in the top to connect with the present cavities for pouring in the epoxy resin.  I propose to seal the bottom of each hole with plasticene and I shall want to plug the tops of the pipes so that I dont lose epoxy resin down the pipes.

post-13131-0-73560700-1382291221_thumb.j

I've had a horrible thought as far as this project is concerned - the kit on this mount is going to get in the way of the main scope on the main pier and block part of the view to the SE.  My mistake :D  I thought about the main scope blocking the widefield rig to the NW but not vice versa.

So I'm now planning to abandon this position and thinking of a concrete pier in a different place.  Back to the drawing board :D  A concrete pier would take my NEQ6 which is now off the main pier ready to accommodete the new EQ8.  I'm still planning to continue with my DIY lightweight mount though.

Oh thats disappointing. But if you are still not wanting to do the hard labor I'm sure you could hire a landscaper with a deep auger to come drill your hole for the pier. They tend to have that stuff. Or see if a fence company would come out and drill 1 hole lol.

I think I will be able to dig a hole for the pier base - it won't be as big as my primary pier and it won't have a shed over it - well not a big one :D  I'm thinking more in terms of an upturned plastic dustbin.

I think I've pretty much decided on digging a relatively small hole maybe 18" cube and filling with concrete.  For the pier, either concrete or a steel pipe.  I still have more of the cardboard tube I used for my main pier (just over 7" ID = 180mm) which would be quite adequate for a concrete mold.  OTOH I'm looking at steel tube around 6" diameter sunk into the concrete - that would save a lot of effort.  As for position, I'm thinking of somewhere along the southern boundary but not too close to the obsy.

A bit later...  Can't find any steel pipe big enough and long enough.  I think about 5" 125mm diameter by at least 1.5M - it needs to go a foot into the base and 4 or 5 ft above.   I guess I can go for concrete :D

I bet you got biceps like the jolly green giant all this cement mixing........my piece of Oak and pea shingle works ok, very solid........ :)

DSC_9839.jpg

Yes, that looks good :)  I did think of a wooden post at one point - have to see what I can get.  Last time I used an electric mixer for the concrete but it still needs effort.

The oak post cost me £40 its 5' 8" in length i suspect you would need another 3' added to that, but its a very stable wood and won't move, i drilled 15.5mm holes in the end and screwed in 16mm studding than a plate on the studs, in my case another piece of oak...:)

• 3 weeks later...

From another thread and it's link to yet another, has come another idea which would save quite a lot of work, which is of paramount concern these days as my health isn't getting any better.  A Skywatcher Pillar Mount  The EQ6 version has a ready made pier adapter that will take my NEQ6 (now replaced by an EQ8 for my main mount) or the EQ6 extension which is also now going spare and which would increase the height by 8" (about 200mm) giving a pier height of just over a metre from the bottom of the base/legs.  I will have to measure up but I think this might be high enough.  So although this is not a cheap solution it would save a lot of work - a major consideration as I said :)

I shall be looking at options for the base - more of which later.

I've measured the fence and, as I thought, it's 3ft high so the SW pillar mount with extension will be fine.  It could even have the base just below ground and clear the fence - as long as I don't have it right beside a fence post :D

Now to the foundations...  Several options :-

1. Dig a large hole and bury the legs in concrete
  2. Ditto but sand or gravel instead of concrete
  3. Individual foundation for eack foot - smaller holes filled with concrete
  4. Galvanised iron pipes driven into the ground - at least well into the clay which is a foot down.

I'm rejecting no.1 straight off - might want to move it at a later date.  No 2. may not be stable enough without burying the legs and having quite a big hole.  No 3. seems a lot better and reasonable but I have some galvanised pipe that I painted green for the abandoned tripod shown above.  They're 2m long so one could be cut into three giving just over 2ft (333mm) for each which would seem quite adequate :)

Before doing any foundations though I could use the pillar as it is and try various positions to find the best place.

Thanks for your replies :)  I might go for a block of concrete and put anchor points in for the feet.  I think this could be below ground with the turf replaced around the legs - or use gravel/scalpings.

Due to financial restrictions I don't expect to be buying the pillar for a couple of weeks or so this is just the planning stage.

I wouldn't do option 1, and with the other two I'd worry about them moving with respect to each other.

Which other two - there's 4 options there?

What's the opinion then on No. 4 ?  Three pipes driven into the ground vertically with turned plugs to take the feet.

Make sure to dig it a bit extra deep to allow for a couple inches of both sand and gravel. Will really help with both equalization of settling and prevention of tilting

I would probably dig down to the clay but at a foot down (30mm) and big enough to cover all three feet it would be quite a big hole and a lot of work (as would filling it with concrete).

I would probably dig down to the clay but at a foot down (30mm) and big enough to cover all three feet it would be quite a big hole and a lot of work (as would filling it with concrete).

Got to be careful when you're next to clay. It absorbse lots of water so it can flux a lot. DEFINATELY put lots of gravel and sand before the concrete if you dig down to the clay.

Got to be careful when you're next to clay. It absorbse lots of water so it can flux a lot. DEFINATELY put lots of gravel and sand before the concrete if you dig down to the clay.

Right - thank you for that advice :)

Archived