SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What lies beneath?

adamsp123

Don't really know what to call this, a half obsy, demi obsy, part obsy?

Anyway be it a Hobsy, Dobsy or Pobsy it is nowhere as good as some of the most excellent Observatories that many of you have built. but as I only have a very limited space and no room to build a proper job this will have to do for now.

Take one very old Fullerscope Pedestal Stand spend hours grinding/smoothing out the inside of the steel tube to get mount head to fit plus drill mount fixing holes.

Then dig hole and 3 deeper slots, place a couple bag loads of sand in the bottom of "pit" place stand on top, cajole said stand so it is level and embedded into the stand, more sand on top of legs the soil on top of that, constantly checking the post is verticle. Fill centre of post with more sand and secure mount head in place.

Take one old garden table cut hole so that it fits around the pillar, remove mount head!!!! :rolleyes: place table around the pillar replace mount head.

Friend give you an old water butt to act as a cover, bodge job done.

So muggins here doesn't have to hump out and spend ages setting up the mount helleluya and hosanas :)

Oh and BTW the table comes in very uselful during imaging for the lappy, psu, wine/beer etc etc

Also please note asthetic screening at the back :)

post-15319-133877388455_thumb.jpg

post-15319-13387738846_thumb.jpg

post-15319-133877388465_thumb.jpg

Nice one, that is the spirit of bodging a job.

As long as it works.

I have had loads of stick about my fence panel DIY Bodge job observatory with bodge roll off roof. But I tell you it is working great. No water has got in and I tell you recently in July it has been tested to the extreme :)

Well done dude.

• 1 year later...

This is amazing. Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I was thinking about getting a tripod to make a 'semi permanent'/leave-outside pier and mount and I am totally inspired by your project!

How has it been over the past 18 months?

I have replaced the water butt with a roll off shed - see here for pics http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/106187-my-roll-off-obsy.html

The tripod/mount set up is exactly the same as is the table except for trimming the table along two edges so it fits in the shed.

So now I also have the scopes, cables and cameras also set up and ready, but the old water butt version having the mount at least set up was good for nearly a year of use, and reduced setup time and sore back.

Oh, it's evolved now :)

I don't think I'll be able to get a roll off shed installed in a neat location here, but I really like your table + water butt idea a lot. Maybe even add a padlock to the water butt and table in order to keep it down in the wind.

Oh, it's evolved now :)

I don't think I'll be able to get a roll off shed installed in a neat location here, but I really like your table + water butt idea a lot. Maybe even add a padlock to the water butt and table in order to keep it down in the wind.

I had limited space hence the roll off shed as you only need an area of 6x15 ft ish to make it work.

I had limited space hence the roll off shed as you only need an area of 6x15 ft ish to make it work.

Unfortunately where I need the pier, there's no way I can get the space for the shed.

However your pier has given me ideas :)

Did you reconstruct the pier (i.e. build one) when you moved to a shed or did you use your pillar mount still?

I'm contemplating purchasing a pillar mount for now and then the next stage would be to dig it in like you did and finally - construct a permanent pier if it works out. The upside-down water butt is brilliant!

Best,

Mike

• 3 years later...

Don't really know what to call this, a half obsy, demi obsy, part obsy?

Anyway be it a Hobsy, Dobsy or Pobsy it is nowhere as good as some of the most excellent Observatories that many of you have built. but as I only have a very limited space and no room to build a proper job this will have to do for now.

Take one very old Fullerscope Pedestal Stand spend hours grinding/smoothing out the inside of the steel tube to get mount head to fit plus drill mount fixing holes.

Then dig hole and 3 deeper slots, place a couple bag loads of sand in the bottom of "pit" place stand on top, cajole said stand so it is level and embedded into the stand, more sand on top of legs the soil on top of that, constantly checking the post is verticle. Fill centre of post with more sand and secure mount head in place.

Take one old garden table cut hole so that it fits around the pillar, remove mount head!!!! :mad: place table around the pillar replace mount head.

Friend give you an old water butt to act as a cover, bodge job done.

So muggins here doesn't have to hump out and spend ages setting up the mount helleluya and hosanas :angel4:

Oh and BTW the table comes in very uselful during imaging for the lappy, psu, wine/beer etc etc

Also please note asthetic screening at the back :glasses1:

very similkar to my solution...heheheh

Archived