Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

fruitful morning

nerointegrale16v

3am - woke up by my wife, she said "jupiters out"

put half my clothes on, went in the back garden but clouded over. could see two misty sources of light moon and jupiter.

so went back to bed,moaning at the wife "jupiters not out its cloudy"  then dozed off to sleep.

3.55am - woke up again by my excited wife saying "see can see many stars", so i get up again. look out the back bedroom window i see one star and clouds, jump back in bed, she says there is many . so she drags me out of bed saying "the moon is 1/4"into the back garden and she correct.

all there moon and jupiter. geewizz she's picking up stargazing as well.

told my wife to get me my new untried "orion deluxe 1.25" eyepiece filter set" see got it from the kitchen. but had lost jupiter, found it again, need 3 pairs of hands, more pockets and learning maybe need to upgrade to a tracking scope because manually controlling my skywatcher 200p eq5 i didnt not have time to even atempt using the filter and the x3 barlow is still used in the box. lol

rushed and set up mount and balanced scope. (need to speed up) the clouds were pushing me.

had a good look at jupiter and moons

then spotted what i think was a lonely mars below to the left (faint redish) swong the scope using the red dot finder, bullseye was on it in 5 seconds, proud as punch, feel im getting somewhere now. had a 3 minute glance at mars but was very poor viewing, so turned to the moon for the first ime clouds helped this time to dim the moon a little

one hour later the cloud ended the show but thoughly enjoyed it

martin

Well done Martin. You have a very helpful wife! Mine just rolls over and then complains later about the noise I make going out the back door.

Jupiter was good this morning but still dodging the clouds. Seeing was ok but not perfect. I could see a fair amount of detail but there were no shadow transits or GRS to really check out the viewing.

That would be Mars that you saw low down to the left of Jupiter. Still a long way off and down in the murk so just fairly fuzzy red disc at the moment.

I think we need to get rid of the moon to have a real chance of seeing ISON

Kerry

Yes - I didn't think of the eclipse. We briefly saw the 1999 one in Strasbourg but got the real deal in Libya in 2006 and, as you say Michael, no one can fail to moved my that experience

Kerry

We were lucky in 1999: the grey skies opened (on a parking place near Sarreguemines, also in the Alsace-Lorraine region) 30 seconds before totality, and closed again 60 seconds after the end of totality. Most spectacular things I have ever seen through my scope.

Similar to our experience. People were actually queuing in the rain for free glasses just hours before the eclipse. But the clouds opened just long enough for us to see about 20-30 seconds of totality. That was enough to whet my appetite and to make me vow to see another - hence the Libya trip which was the climax of a special Mediterranean cruise. Something we will never forget. Our son came too and celebrated his birthday on board

Kerry

Archived