NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My STAR test. Wow!

Wow! and Wow! again. My 200P works? after Days of cloudy skies. I`m out the back of my House (North facing) to test that my collimation has worked, so I`m looking up at the star, Capella, and I`m seeing the clearest point of light Ive ever seen through a telescope with perfect diffraction spikes. I`m so chuffed. The scope seems to be set up well after my 35mm cap collimation exercise. Then I need to grab one of my Sons, who is showing some interest  ( was out watching the Perseid Meteors last Month with me) and even he said how clear the image was (despite the street lights around us). We used the "Super" 25mm lens. Then I noticed the Moon was low to the South, so Im now set up in the front doorway to hide from the street lighting, scope  is almost horizontal in alignment and then Ouch! "blinded by the light" as Manfred Mann would have shouted? so in goes the front cover to reduce the light into the aperture and bingo, what a sight. I also tested  my celestron eyepieces from my 127EQ. Wont be doing that again in a hurry,a dimmer and almost cloudier image(to me). I did not try the "Supers" in the Celestron. Maybe next time.I`m sure that scope will be better if equiped with better lenses.

Anyhow, my eyesight is now back, and I`m back online viewing EP brands again (A Meade 4000 set with filters went tonight on a well knowm site for about £157) I still fancy the ES 68 Series. But overall, really happy that my scope is working.

Both the 10mm & 25mm worked as they should, but excited about the prospect of better quality and wider images to follow with newer lenses.

Sounds a great session  :smiley:

Do remember that using the front cap / cover to reduce the light into the scope reduces the resolution of the scope quite considerably. A moon filter is a better bet as that retains the full 200mm aperture.

Good to hear things are working well! Just a though on the ES68s... not sure how easy they will be to get hold of in the UK (someone might well correct me on this), and as far as I know the ES82s don't cost that much more.

Good to hear things are working well! Just a though on the ES68s... not sure how easy they will be to get hold of in the UK (someone might well correct me on this), and as far as I know the ES82s don't cost that much more.

Most often folks seem to import the ES eyepieces from the USA as they are so much more expensive here.

faulksy...........cheers,  I note your location, I pass through en-route to Oswesty occaisionally. Have family there.

John.........cheers, Yeah, still a newbie here. The filters will come once Ive sorted  my  lense collection. still undecided.

+1 for the Maxvision EPs if you're considering Explore Scientific Charic. I love my 24mm UWA (82°).

Ordered from the German site http://www.explorescientific.de/ on a Thursday, they shipped Friday and arrived the following Tuesday.

I also like my Maxvision 16mm SWA (68°), but not as much simply because although it gives a lovely view and eye relief is fine, I find the thick surround of the eyepiece slightly annoying - personally I much prefer traditional eyecups where my eyelashes can occupy the space between the end of the eyecup and the front lens of the eyepiece!

Most sites are in my favourites now........... lenses lenses lenses, doing my head in,  still can`t decide. Im checking over  Meade 5000`s BST and GSO`s for now.  All part of the fun I suppose. Everytime I see  something i like, something or someone sugests something else, so lots to study and learn. Am I really going to see the difference  between a £50 lens or a £120 lens in perfect conditions, with an 8" Skyliner, I probably doubt it. But because I know there is better quality occulars and higher prices, I suppose I`ll buy something soon, because were like that. Im fully aware that telescopes are provided with a basic lens/es so on that grounding, only right to tweak and upgrade accordingly.

Most sites are in my favourites now........... lenses lenses lenses, doing my head in,  still can`t decide. Im checking over  Meade 5000`s BST and GSO`s for now.  All part of the fun I suppose. Everytime I see  something i like, something or someone sugests something else, so lots to study and learn. Am I really going to see the difference  between a £50 lens or a £120 lens in perfect conditions, with an 8" Skyliner, I probably doubt it. But because I know there is better quality occulars and higher prices, I suppose I`ll buy something soon, because were like that. Im fully aware that telescopes are provided with a basic lens/es so on that grounding, only right to tweak and upgrade accordingly.

You did mean Maxvision and not Meade 5000s? Didn't you? The difference will be between a half and two thirds more expensive!

In my limited experience, it's that middle ground, from the basic EPs to the next notch up where you're likely to see the most improvements and yes, you can see the difference in an 8" 'scope. They're also about my limit!  :grin:

As always, there're some exceptions, as no one seems to have a bad word for the BSTs despite their £50 price tag!

Cheers

Its 0340, doesnt time fly. Im off to bed now with brain delving over TeleVue Plossls as a branded collection, but still undecided. Had a good look at the TMB Optical 9mm 1.25" Planetary Type II for a High Power lens  and the GSO 30mm SuperView for Low Power.  I want to keep my ocular sizes in the 1.25" format, so may have to reconsider the GSO.

..........so Im now set up in the front doorway to hide from the street lighting, scope  is almost horizontal in alignment .......

I know the feeling of constantly hiding in the shadows on the rear patio.

I tried to find some dark skies nearby - but I'll need to be at least 3-miles from the town lights.

My wishlist includes a 200mm 8" Skywatcher.

But to avoid the back ache - I'm hoping to get the 200p on a tripod.

I wasn't sure if it would be worth the £400-£500 expenditure,

but from your experience, it sounds like it will be well worth the effort.

My wishlist includes a 200mm 8" Skywatcher.

But to avoid the back ache - I'm hoping to get the 200p on a tripod.

Get an observing stool (in my case a beautian's stool for about £30!) and you won't get back ache with a dob mount! :)

Reeny...........My Skywatcher `Skyliner` 200P/dob is @ 26Kgs, and for me at present, is easy to move around, you just lift it by the OTA mounting handles, but you can separate easy enough by removing the handles (one is the tensioner for the up-down movement of the scope) The scope sits in the corner of my kitchen under a big see through, full length, heavy duty plastic cover. The only thing that is a tad awkward is getting underneath the finderscope at times? maybe a right angle viewer attachment may suit  some people. But  I like the finderscope, its nice and bright, and I have no problem with sighting with it.  I prefer the Dob mount. Its so easy. just sit it on level ground, aim in direction, and raise or lower the scope, cant get any easier. You should be able to get the 8" for £279 UK Delivered.  If you use an EQ mount, much more adjustments and twiddling of the tripod. If your on a tripod, you may even need the ladder to reach the focuser, if the scope is above horizontal. The Dob over my EQ is so much easier, better for get out and go Observing. You still gotta give that 8" mirror some time to cool down before you use it. A Telrad Finder would overcome the reversed,left is right, up is down, inverted,confusion that some people find difficult to find with,  but I can find very quickly using that method. The reflex finder on the other hand, just put the Bulls Eye on target, then look through the finder (after initial setting up of the scope first on a distant target - then aligning the Telrad with what you see through the telescopes lens) . You mention £400-£500? The scope is only half the battle? 8" is the best Ive had, never looked through anything larger. Fact: larger aperture, more light gather. Next important issue is your ocular(lenses) some cost more than the scope, lots more. Scope is supplied with two lenses called Super 10mm and Super 25mm. They are Modified Achromat type lenses, based on the kellner design. They work,  but there is a vast ammount of lenses out there that will improve what you`ll see compared to the default lenses supplied, which is the junction Im at at present. So if your still budgeting upto £500 then maybe the 10" reflector and lenses, or go for the 8" and better lenses. as everyone keeps saying, try before you buy. I dont have that opportunity at present, so Im buying on suggestions from previous users, and what I`m learning myself. Hope this helps.

Archived