Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 pro- Direct DSLR mounting

Gohan75

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a HEQ5 pro mount which i have a few questions about, I aim to mount a Skywatcher evostar ED80 ds pro as i hear good things in terms of photography about this scope. For the time being however i am going to purchase the mount alone until i can afford the scope, this way i hope to get used to operating the mount as well.

I was wondering if an individual DSLR camera can be attached directly to the mount and if so what additional accessories might I need to do this? I hope to achieve some wide angle exposures of the milky way using the mounts tracking capabilities alone, will this be sufficient or will i need a guide scope?

I have a few other questions also so any advise on this would be appreciated, thanks:

1. Whats the difference between EQ5, HEQ5 and HEQ5 pro? is it just tracking, GOTO and weight?

2. what is the difference between GOTO, Syntrek and synscan?

3. As mentioned above, can i attach a dslr directly to the mount?

Im eager to get started but dont want to make a mistake by rushing into buying equipment so any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a HEQ5 pro mount which i have a few questions about, I aim to mount a Skywatcher evostar ED80 ds pro as i hear good things in terms of photography about this scope. For the time being however i am going to purchase the mount alone until i can afford the scope, this way i hope to get used to operating the mount as well.

I was wondering if an individual DSLR camera can be attached directly to the mount and if so what additional accessories might I need to do this? I hope to achieve some wide angle exposures of the milky way using the mounts tracking capabilities alone, will this be sufficient or will i need a guide scope?

I have a few other questions also so any advise on this would be appreciated, thanks:

1. Whats the difference between EQ5, HEQ5 and HEQ5 pro? is it just tracking, GOTO and weight?

2. what is the difference between GOTO, Syntrek and synscan?

3. As mentioned above, can i attach a dslr directly to the mount?

Im eager to get started but dont want to make a mistake by rushing into buying equipment so any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks

To connect your camera to a mount you will need a dovetail bar and a ball and socket head.

The EQ5 is a smaller mount than the HEQ5 (think of the HEQ5 as a small version of the EQ6), the HEQ5 has a greater load capacity than an EQ5. The HEQ5 (basic version) has built in dual axis motors , the EQ5 doesn't. The Synscan/Syntrek mounts use more sophisticated motors and control boards.

GOTO is a generic word for mounts that use a small hand held computer to slew the mount to a desired object, Synscan is the trademark name for Skywatcher's goto systeem. The skywatcher Syntrek mounts are the same as the Synscan mount but are supplied with a simpler handset. You get multiple tracking rates but no goto.

I length of dovetail and Ball and Socket Head fitted to it is how I mount DSLR's to EQ Mounts.. you can do away with the BnS head and just attach the camera using a 1/4-20-unc bolt to the dovetail but this gives less options in framing the target.

You have covered the main differences on the mounts the Heq5 Pro uses Stepper motors and is suited to computer control.. The Syntrek and Synscan come witht he same motors but the Synscan doesn't have the Goto Handset... and is usually controlled from a PC via an interface (EQDirect) EQASCOM software and software like Stellarium or Carte Du Ceil.

If you haven't already bought a copy the get hoid of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (Steppenwolf) it will guide you through the purchasing Decisions and save you a fortune in the long run...as well as taking you through image capture and processing...

Peter...

I have just recently started to do a bit of AP with a camera and lens. I made a dovetail from a piece of 25 mm birch ply, drilled and recessed a hole in it to take a bolt that I bought for 19p to attach a ball head and have just had my first decent results with this approach. There is plenty to keep you occupied for a while before you get your scope and lots of fun to be had.:)

Yup, I'll add a recommendation for a ball-head mount too. I had a short length of dovetail that came with a scope and fixed the mount to that. Having the ball-head makes it so much easier to get the framing you want.

James

Hi all,

Quote from Psychobilly:

The Syntrek and Synscan come with the same motors but the Synscan doesn't have the Goto Handset...

I think you will find that is the other way round... the Syntrek does not have the GOTO handset.

Either of these 2 can be controlled via EQMOD if required.

I also recommend Steve's book... it will save you making expensive mistakes.

Best Regards.

Sandy.

Thanks for clearing that up guys much appreciated. I will look into the ball n head attachment and the dovetail. @ Foundaplanet.... all i can say is wow! amazing shots i would love to be able to achieve images like that! Was that done just with an DSLR? what lens did u use?

It is possible to mount an ED80 on a dovetail using rings and then mount a camera directly on one of the rings. Skywatcher rings are drilled and come with fittings intended for this. However, I don't believe it's really a great way to mount a camera for long exposure imaging because the entire weight of the camera is supported only by the 1/4" screw in the tripod bracket.

What would be better would be a dual mounting bar. This fits in the mount saddle and has two saddles of its own, one of which could be used for the scope and one for the camera. They're not exactly ten a penny however. If you know someone who could make all or part of one for you it would probably be significantly cheaper.

James

Archived