NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skytracker vs astrotrac?

Damian1985

Hi everyone, I'm looking to get one of either the Astrotrac or iOptron skytracker to mount my DSLR onto and take pics, I was wondering if anyone had any views on which is the better one? The skytracker looks to be a little bit cheaper but ultimately if the Astrorac is a lot better then I'm happy to pay for it.

I'm looking for it to be pretty simple to set up so I can just nip out and set it up. I have a SW200P on an NEQ 6 mount but it is obviously big and cumbersome so can't just nip to the middle of a field with it :grin:

Any pointers/advice would be very much appreciated :smiley:

Thanks

Damian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My vote goes to the Polarie. :p

I haven't used the other two so I can't comment beyond that the Astrotrac is a more capable unit when it comes down to putting more than just a dslr on it and I don't think I have ever seen a bad word about the AT.

I don't really think it's a fair comparisom either as they are designed to do different things but can be used in the same way.

That said if you know you are always just wanting to use your dslr and not anything else and if portability means a lot then I'd have to say the Polarie.

The Startracker seems to be getting good reviews too although I think the Polarie does manage longer subs before image anomolies creep in, the AT even longer.

I've had a Skytracker for a few weeks and have used it on only two nights so far. I chose it because it was a good deal cheaper than the alternatives, and so far I have been happy with it. Polar alignment is easy, and it gave me well tracked exposures of up to 3 minutes with a old 135mm lens on my 1000D (see M31 below), and 5 minutes with wider (and lighter) lenses.

I'd like to have been able to afford the full autoguidable AT kit, but then I am not a very serious astrophotographer.

picture.php?albumid=1889&pictureid=16100

As has been said both mounts will handle a DSLR with wide angle lenses well. The Astrotrac comes into its own when carrying longer length lenses or scopes with the added ability to autoguide. The Astro track will also track more accurately without autoguiding enabled than the alternatives as it is equivalent to a having a very large gear drive. The Astrotrac comes into its own when it is used with the rest of the Astrotrac system and makes for a very portable equatorial mount with a good payload that can be carried as hand luggage when abroad. The price you are paying for an Astrotrac may seem dear but you are paying for the good engineering needed to make it light yet strong and portable with a heavy payload capability. It's not something you can equate to a Skywatcher HEQ5 with full goto or similar as you would not want to lug around such a mount. If you intend to travel abroad or intend to use longer focal lengths I would recommend the Astrotrac. If you are going to be using it at home and out of a car in the field then the other mounts would suffice when using a DSLR.

My vote goes to the Polarie. :p

I haven't used the other two so I can't comment beyond that the Astrotrac is a more capable unit when it comes down to putting more than just a dslr on it and I don't think I have ever seen a bad word about the AT.

I don't really think it's a fair comparisom either as they are designed to do different things but can be used in the same way.

That said if you know you are always just wanting to use your dslr and not anything else and if portability means a lot then I'd have to say the Polarie.

The Startracker seems to be getting good reviews too although I think the Polarie does manage longer subs before image anomolies creep in, the AT even longer.

Seconded. The Polarie is as portable as it gets. However, the payload is limited (supposedly you can easily load more than the 2kg Vixen in Japan advertises on this little mount but certainly far less than on a Astrotrac). For some people that may be a deal breaker, especially if you are toying with the idea of using long and fast primes in combination with a heavy full frame DSLR.

I have no direct experience of the iOptron Skytracker but I have reviewed the Astrotrak for S @ N magazine and have produced a lengthy independent review of the Polarie here. Paul Money from S @ N magazine has recently reviewed the iOpton Skytracker as has Ninian Boyle for AN and they both generally liked it.

The Astrotrak is designed for a different market to the Polarie (and iOptron Skytracker for that matter) in that the former will take a more substantial payload than the other two. However, this comes at a price both financial and in terms of absolute portability.

If your interest lies in camera and lens wide field imaging whilst on holiday or for a quick assembly then my preference would be for the Polarie but if you intend to mount a larger instrument like a telescope then the Astrotrak would be the better choice from my own experience.

I liked the review Polarie so much that I kept it ....... :grin: :grin:

Thanks for your swift and helpful replies everyone. Think I've discounted the Astrotrac as I'm really only interested in a DSLR on the mount so seems a bit exessive.

Ludd - that is a very nice image, is that from just one 3 minute exposure?

To the guys using the Polarie - did you use the optional polarscope or just the small hole for rough allignment?

After seeing Ludd's image I'm swaying to the skytracker... hmmm decisions decisions :shocked::rolleyes:

I opted for the Astrotrac, but the Polarie was only just out, and as I recall, the skytracker wasn't available. Having said that, I'm able to easily achieve 5 minute exposures at 50mm with the polar scope. I've also carried my Astrotrac in my camera bag on an airline. It's longer than the other two, but it fitted in my laptop compartment with ease. No issues there, but security did want to know what it was and about it.

To optimize the Astrotrac system for medium/long focal lengths you will be paying close to £1000, if not more i.e. very substantial tripod (the manfrotto option is barely adequate), counterweights, polarscope and a geared head for polar alignment and a ball & socket head for framing.

for significantly less you are looking at the other options under £400 for wide/medium focal length DSLR imaging, so you get what you pay for. I paid for the Skytracker v2 and a ball & socket head

The polarscope is well made, but doesn't come cheap. I use the little hole for rough polar alignment. I might get the polarscope eventually, but so far, I haven't had the chance to use the Polarie extensively, because the weather always has something against me trying to capture the night sky :mad: .

Thanks for your swift and helpful replies everyone. Think I've discounted the Astrotrac as I'm really only interested in a DSLR on the mount so seems a bit exessive.

Ludd - that is a very nice image, is that from just one 3 minute exposure?

To the guys using the Polarie - did you use the optional polarscope or just the small hole for rough allignment?

After seeing Ludd's image I'm swaying to the skytracker... hmmm decisions decisions :shocked::rolleyes:

Here are some recent pics I have done with the Polarie, they all need improvements but that's just me and the after processing and not the unit itself.

One of them, I forget which one, maybe the Cygnus is just using the rough sight hole for alignment. I think I mention it in the thread so you can zoom in and see the slight trailing.

With the Polar scope though that trailing disappears, it is definitely a useful accessory and the images are better as a result.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192672-m31-and/#entry2016006

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192749-nova-delphinus-2013-50mm/#entry2017062

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192292-vega/

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/191587-first-cygnus/

There is also this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184018-polarie-oah/ from Lacerta which is an Off Axis holder that uses a EQ5? polar scope. I think it's a cheaper option than the vixen one but I have the Vixen PS.

I just noticed Pete's last post in that thread too so maybe something new in the future.

I really wanted the V2 Skytracker, but elected to go for the Astrotrac (again - it's my second one!).

The Polarie ends up being more expensive than the Astrotrac (£570 for the Polarie + polarscope, £510 for the Astrotrac + polarscope) - I suppose it's marginally more portable, but the payload is less.

There's a good comparison here:  http://www.ioastronomy.co.uk/2013/07/astrotrac-vs-skytracker-vs-polarie/

"£570 for the Polarie + polarscope, £510 for the Astrotrac + polarscope"

This obviously is without the rest that you do need to buy and add quite a lot....

I am also in the undecided camp between the Astrotrac or the Vixen Polarie.

At the moment, the Polarie is winning as I can use it from my dinning room window like I've been using my auto-guided EQ1 (soon going to a good home). I won't need a tripod for it (for the time being) and will not need the polar scope as I use the eq-polar-alignment script (see signature).

The AT is beautiful to look at and the results you do get from it are excellent, however once you've added everything... it does cost quite a lot of money.

Most people would say the AT is more expensive once you get the complete kit, wedge etc..

http://rogergroom.com/astronomy-resources/astronomy-equipment-reviews/astrotrac-vs-vixen-polarie/

Plus it is probably more essential to have a stable tripod and head for the full benefits of the AT.

You can use the Polarie without the polar scope really easily and my good tripod has broken so I'm using it on a cheap 20quid light weight tripod, 1 ball head and that's it. While I can see the benefits of using an expensive geared head etc.. there is absolutely no need for one.

Most people would say the AT is more expensive once you get the complete kit, wedge etc..

Yes, but it's not necessary for just a camera plus lens, the Manfrotto geared head and ballhead are perfectly capable.  I agree for just a camera plus <200mm lens, the AT is excessive - you're paying for the ability to carry more load, more accurate tracking plus the ability to autoguide in RA.

Assuming it's any good, the Polarie's biggest competition has to be the V2 Skytracker.  Only ~£400 for the unit and polarscope, plus you only need to add a tripod as the alt and az adjustment is built into the unit.  I wish there were a few more reviews around really as iOptron stuff does seem a bit hit and miss.

I would agree with that but and certainly they shouldn't be compared in the same way I think it's a bit  selective to say the Polarie is more expensive is all.

It's not at it's most basic form and works so well you may never want to upgrade to any of the extras and even if you did want a polar scope then go for the Lacerta one which puts costs pretty much even depending on currency rates, plus there is no need for a geared head of any type.

People seem to be happy with the ioptron skytracker and I haven't read of any blowing up, they look a bit bigger though.

The head between the tripod and the tracker is the one that you use for polar aligning the tracker and as such has a big imoact on the polar alignment and hence the tracking accuracy and trailing...

You could use a ball head but it will make the PA process more fiddly... the ball head would be better fitted to tbe tracker to allow for framing the target...

I would probably use a 3way pan and tilt head between the tripod and tracker in preference to a ball head...

Some of the more expensive ball heads have a seperate pan axis. . .

Peter...

I would agree with that but and certainly they shouldn't be compared in the same way I think it's a bit  selective to say the Polarie is more expensive is all.

It's not at it's most basic form and works so well you may never want to upgrade to any of the extras and even if you did want a polar scope then go for the Lacerta one which puts costs pretty much even depending on currency rates, plus there is no need for a geared head of any type.

People seem to be happy with the ioptron skytracker and I haven't read of any blowing up, they look a bit bigger though.

Yep, using FLO prices, the Polarie is £15 cheaper than the AT without the polarscope.  When I did my research using both with polarscopes, like for like tripods and ballheads (one more ballhead for the Polarie, and a geared head for the AT) the AT bundle was only around £30 more expensive.  For me, £30 was worth it for the better load carrying, more accurate tracking and the ability to guide in RA.

To be fair, there's no need for a geared head for the AT either - Telescope Service do an AT bundle with a 3D head if you want to save a bit more money.

For anyone interested, there's a seller on Ebay selling new AT's with polarscope for £450 shipped. No affiliation with the seller, but they're cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

Archived