Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2nd light ! 250px dob

Jase_v2

Ive got to admit, my first outing with the new scope a few weeks ago left me a bit underwhelmed. I struggled to find anything and wondered whether Id made a huge mistake. Spent ages looking for the ring nebula and found nothing! Finally managed to get Saturn and a dim view of the rings. Went in deflated and hacked off as Id heard such great things about these scopes.

One thing I did find though - the standard supplied skywatcher eyepieces were very poor. Id already bought a couple of 'middle of the road' plossl's and these were streets ahead of the skywatchers in terms of clarity and brightness.

Finally got the dob out again last night and managed an hour before the heavy dew made things impossible. The sky was clear - but not that bright- with nothing really jumping out like it usually does (but I did get a well defined Milky Way and some lovely meteorites). Managed to get the Ring Nebula on my first attempt this time and was blown away by it. Then it was M13 and Andromeda. - managed to see M110 (but couldnt make out M32) with a final view of the Perseus double cluster before calling it a night ( as the finderscope was completely fogged and dew on the secondary). Absolutely incredible. Looking forward to more clear skies and the darker nights. Need an observing chair though - and now its obvious I need some better eyepieces - Ive read Robins eyepiece guide and am now even more confused as what to buy ! Thanks for listening ! :grin:

I have a 250px myself and was slightly disappointed on first light but now I can't get enough. I am still using the stick pieces that came with the scope but am looking at the new 70 degree Skywatcher range available through FLO

If you find the best eyepieces for the 250 please.let me know.

Thanks for the input and advice ! Not had third light yet due to our famous cumbrian weather but hoping for saturday. Looking at the BST starguiders at the moment as a reasonable price eyepiece upgrade and will let yoiu know how I get on - but the new skywatchers do look impressive

I have a 250px myself and was slightly disappointed on first light but now I can't get enough. I am still using the stick pieces that came with the scope but am looking at the new 70 degree Skywatcher range available through FLO

If you find the best eyepieces for the 250 please.let me know.

TV plossls :). It's what I use.

P.S. I've yet to get my third light with my 250PX too ;).

I have an old camping mat cut and rolled ready for the main scope for next time :grin: - with a less bulky bit of foam for the finder! Thanks again for the advice. Looking at the long range forecast it'll be a while before 3rd light ! Cant wait though . Hadnt considered the Televue Plossl's as Id expected they would be in the same price range as the rest of their eyepieces. Just what I need - more choices , but Ive plenty of time before I can use the scope again to consider.

Archived