Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

50mm finder, filter mod

Moonshane

Yet another innovative use for the ever popular Baader fine tuning ring!

I have been meaning to do this mod for ages and on a whim did it just now. The only refractor that has a permanent place in my heart and my kit boxes is the humble 9x50mm right angle correct image finder. This mod works (I presume) with any 50mm finder.

Whilst I love my three scopes, their Achilles heel is that they give a really narrow field compared with those short tube fracs that people keep banging on to me about :grin: Talk of lovely wide field views with the whole Veil system and North America Nebula / Pelican in the field made me think of a way I could do the same thing.

I therefore struck upon the idea of using a 14mm Baader fine tuning ring (FTR) and gluing this into the end of my 50mm finder. I could then add any of my 2" filters to the finder for ultrawide (5 degree or so) fields where I could hopefully see these targets from dark sites.

Here's a few pics which show what I did. I used araldite (or similar) and happened to have a spare 2" eyepiece cover so that helped. There's no weight being held really so I doubt the glue will be stressed at all and the field of the finder seems unaffected.

Hope this is a useful mod for others.

post-5119-0-56598400-1378762776_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-54369000-1378762788_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-78504900-1378762802_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-45215500-1378762816_thumb.jp

well, it works. I think........I had been out under clear skies for maybe one minute when the clouds rolled in. must be a record.

even though I was straight out from a lit room, I am sure I could seen nebulosity in the Veil area. once adapted and in better skies this could be a winner!

it will be interesting to see what the true fov will be with this finder now - any chance you could post up the results if we ever get a clear night?

my 70mm widefield frac is just a touch too heavy to use as a finder on my new dob, which is a shame cos it was brilliant on my eq mounted newt - 10x70 finder with 4.7deg Tfov is a lovely thing, but if your mod gets close enough then i'll be giving this a stab.

I'm in the middle of putting together an 80mm mega finder :-). Having decided that the 20 x 80 binos I put together from parts very cheaply are unlikely to get used much, I've taken them apart and am using one objective as part of a finder. I currently have a 45 degree erecting prism so can fit 1.25" eps in it and am in the lookout for a 90 degree to make it easier to use. I have an Orion Ultrablock filter and SW OIII which I can try out in it, should be handy and will post up when I've finished it.

Stu

cool. I had a bit of a go last night and I think the aperture is just a little small from home. the field is approx 5 degrees though so it's a nice wide vista. I am hopeful from darker skies it will be better but I'll certainly report back when I have had more of a chance. neighbours constantly turning on lights does not help!

Archived