Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Slippery Slope?

compassrose

Having great fun doing visual with my current set up (CPC 800 + 6.3 reducer, ST102 on a 3.2 mount with goto) but I can see the advantages of video astronomy for realtime, quick set-up etc and especially since I have a campervan for access to dark skies and will also be hoping to do simple demos at a youth club where I help out. So - what I have done is ordered a PD camera kit and a Meade 3.3 reducer. Hopefully I will be able to use both scopes with this package. This has blown my meagre budget for the time being so I am hoping there's not much else I need or am I being naiive? I already have a lappy. Do I have the basis for a start in this exciting branch of my hobby? Would some lenses for the PD camera be worth thinking about for an even more compact grab and go setup and which ones would be worth getting? Sorry to be vague but I'm sure my later posts will be more specific once my knowledge base broadens.

Please feel free to bombard me with any advice.

David

Hi David welcome to the av forum of sgl...the pd1 is a cracking camera bit easier menu wise compared to the Samsung. ..lens's ..I would get two eventually a widefield view and a zoom lens for variety if views. ..you require for pd1 to laptop if you don't have av in port. ..a usb video grabber dongle (ebay) bnc to rca adapter and rca cable. ..there are other cable option but this is easiest. ..Davy

Welcome to the slippery slope :grin:

Camera

C mount eyepiece adapter (may come with the PD)

Power source (battery/ mains 12V)

Frame grabber dongle/ dazzle 100 etc (BNC to phono lead from camera to computer)

Software WXastrocapture, Sharpcap, Handyavi etc (all free)

That list should be you up and running. I currently playing with slr lenses at the moment so cant really advise until I get the results.

Cheers Carl

Hi David. ..the cpc 800 with pd1 Ile have to pass on...focus can be a bit hit n miss on the scope side with focal reducers...johnno having this prob with his sw ed80. .requires more inward focal travel. . I have a st102 on a az3 but have not tried the pd1 camera on it...I put some rough guides up for the ed80 set up on the Samsung focal reducer thread,,, it may help...Davy

Hi David, I've not got a cpc 800 but I think you should be ok with it, I've got a mak 127 and I don't have any problems with the camera with that scope regarding focus so the principle will be pretty much the same with your scope. I think you will find using video for demo's far better than visual as you can show a group of people at the same time around you monitor / laptop instead of them all queuing up to look down a eyepiece.

If you find that you what to take your demo's a step further you could use a mini 12v projector and screen for group viewings. John

Thanks Johnno.

Yes that was my thinking about the ease of demo with video - but also hoping to do some captures and a bit of stacking later on - once I get more familiar with all the software! Just learnt that the Meade 3.3 ccd FR I ordered is out of stock everywhere - bummer - so will have to wait - or have a re-think. The CPC is F10 and I have a 6.3 FR but I thought the 3.3 would be a big improvement.

Appreciating the help. Great forum.

David

Hi David

Welcome to our little group.

The CPC800 with the F3.3 reducer will be great - I get good results with my C8. You will need to connect the camera direct to the focal reducer and get the spacing right (spacers should be supplied with the reducer if you bought it new).

You will also have to check the clearance when pointing near zenith.

Check out my photos to see what you can expect (I have an SDC435 which has the same CCD I think).

HTH

Paul

Archived