NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar stacking - less is more?

I'd really like some idea of what percentage of frames people tend to stack on their solar AVIs.

Seeing tends to be very bad, so I would imagine quite low? Does it depend on software?

I've been stacking 20% in AS!2.

Let me know your experience.

I find that less is certainly more so's to speak with my single frame shooting , careful visual selection of the frames and using only the very best is my preference.

Same applies to AVI's really , it's the old adage of rubbish in equals rubbish out , I usually start by putting AVI's through PIPP and letting it pick the best 20% of a file then I'll try various quality settings in AS!2 or Reg to whittle he set down til I get the best result I can.

This is with Whitelight imaging mind you , but I can't see much being different in Ha.

I think Alexandra (Montana) uses ~100 frames, so I'd do that. It's all seeing-dependent of course. For white light I wouldn't go over 75 seconds: individual granules tend to dissipate over timescales of 1-5 minutes, so if your captures are too long you actually lose the finest details.

I'm still learning the ropes but so far I base it on the quality graph in AS!2. I'm finding Smart Sharpen in Photoshop to be a very powerful tool for sharpening and I get the feeling that it likes high signal to noise, i.e. a decent number of frames stacked. I've not given it a massive test though, it's more that a few stacks where I did not have that many frames in the stack seemed to break up into noise very quickly with Smart Sharpen.

Will be very interesting to see what everyone else is using/what tips anyone has.

I remember BrianB saying his rule of thumb was to use 1/3. I managed just 1 short AVI yesterday and stacked 30% of that which was 56 frames and I certainly noticed the noise difference when I came to sharpen. So more is good for noise, but obviously not at the expense of quality.

Helen

Hmm first thing is getting a low churn in the atmosphere, coupled with a very high frame rate (to minimise the smudging each frame) and using a quality analyser to ensure you can see the sharp details - even better if you can outline the regions of interest to grade on. The best images I've had is where I've only accepted 90-95%+ quality.. one bad frame really makes a mess.

I do the same as Peter though I find it hard to tell which frames are sharpest with H-a at prime focus. One frame looks sharper here, another sharper there. :confused:

Doesn't careful selection of the reference frame help with Registax?

I usually scroll back and fore through the captured frames and find one which has the best detail in the region I am interested in...

Peter...

Archived