Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounts for video

johnno

Hi John

Balancing is relatively easy - just move the OTA up or down until it balances. You will find that it varies depending upon what you have hanging off the back of the scope and whether or not you have a second scope mounted.

Once you fine the balance point, you can mark the dovetail - perhaps have two marks one for when you have your camera attached and another for when you have a diagonal and eyepiece.

This is what a well balanced scope looks like:

Note to get the dynamic balance this guy has had to add a weight that counteracts the offset the eye piece and diagonal have to the main axis of the OTA.

I have not gone that far yet and have not had problems - the more out of balance the scope is the more likely you are to have problems.

What he does not show you is dropping one of the tripod legs and showing balance in the azimuth direction - I achieve this by moving the counterweight up or down the shaft depending upon whether or not I have as second scope fitted.

I level the head of the tripod before I level the pins - the I fit the mount and level that using the built in bubble - Graham on the Yahoo group has a levelling how-to that's really useful but you must level the base first (not as critical as the mount it self but should be near level).

Once it's level mount your OTA and check the level again - if it's not balances you'll see the bubble move as you rotate the head.

Next point your scope to the zenith and lock the altitude clutch, now turn on the mount and use the arrow keys to make the OTA vertical - should be easy with your MAK - a level on the should be sufficient. Now turn the power off and rotate the head until the arrow points south.

Power up and wait for the GPS to change from ON to OK.

I do not bother with the align function -  slew to a named star. With any luck you should only have to adjust the azimuth to bring it into the field of view.

Select SYNC to target and adjust until the selected star is in the centre of the eyepiece (or camera).

I then slew to another name star some distance away form the first and SYNC again - then I'm good for the rest of the night.

This is using my C8 with F3.3 reducer and SDC435 - similar to a 18mm Plossl and a 2000mm focal length scope - object is usually in the field of view but may need centring. 

I would recommend against using planets or the moon as your initial target as I'm not sure they are model as well as the named stars.

If you need any more advice PM me, I'd be glad to help.

Clear skies

Paul

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

had a play with it today on the sun, used a cross haired ep and got it in the middle , and just  sync to target and left it, went back to it 90 mins later and it was almost in the middle, was quite surprised with that with only a sync. went back inside but fell asleep when I woke up another 90 mins later the clouds had rolled in so I don't know if it was still in the ep. bummer

Sorry to intrude,

but does a SW synscan az goto Track a 130/650 newtonian such as the heritage well enough (and carry all of it) to use 10 or even 20 seconds of Integration?

Not that there's budget left for one, but it would be a nice option if I can get one used or on sale in the future.

The other mounts in this price range (200€-250€) seem to either struggle with that kind of telescope or lack of precice tracking. The cube mounts are either not available here in Germany or I can't seem to find info on wether or not it could carry the h130p;

Meade ds 2000 looks to be way to weak, and all other options are either made for small Mak telescopes or cost over 300€,

Sadly the only eq option in this price range would be the neq3, but it's motor kits cost half as much as the mounts, not to mention the goto options.

If I am going for a motorized mount and the field rotation won't be an issue at 650mm fl, a goto mount would be nice to try.

Hi schorh....you may get a better answer on the mounts section to the question ...in the book every photon counts by Steve Richards available from first light optics there isa detailed mod of an eq5 motorised mount being adapted to autguiding...orob find this mod on utube.can't see why it couldn't be done on a eq3. ...Davy

Hi Schorhr, have you tried giving these people a call and maybe they can help you out

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4838_iOptron-Cube-E-Portable-GoTo-Telescope-Mount-with-tripod.html

Is the heritage the flexi tube desktop mount, if so I don't think its suitable for the job, and I don't think  it can be mounted to a mount as this is based on a dobsonian  mount.

Field rotation is not a problem for AV as you are not doing multi long exposures as with dslr camera's that's when you need a eq mount.

Rock Mallicam the maker of the Mallicam camera's only uses a alt/az mount for his AV broadcasts.

if you can get your hands on a secondhand goto az/alt mount and a 80mm refractor I think this will give you better results so start out with rather than trying to use a flexitube

john.

Hello Davy,

as it would be explcit for video astronomy, and I saw Johnno mention the sw az goto mount, I posted here :-)

I don't want to make long exposure shots, but that book is already on my list anyway :-) No autoguiding planned though. 

Johnno, 

I did not want to bother them bevore I have an actual intention in buying a mount :-)

Also I was curious if there have been experiences with a heavier telescope.

The heritage has a prism/dovetail mount, and I already used it on my Astro 3 mount.

Also it's flextube design has flaws, but at least it can be shortened to get into focus, while most other 130p entry level telscopes cause problems... 

I closed the tube, so stray light is less of a problem.

I have used the 130p both on a eq platform and the Astro3 eq mount; With a DSLR, too.

I know about field rotation, guiding and so on, I'm more looking for a light, affordable minimalistic solution. 

The problem when asking vendors is, that they will try to sell something better suited (and more expensive), and people into AP will hessitate to reccomend a altaz mount anyway.

:-) 

I don't want to buy another telescope, and 80mm would be a step back (plus I do have a Mak, a 70//700 FH and so on) 

Schorhr...I had an etx80. A 200mm newt and a st102 before I got my ed80 I wouldn't call it a step back more forward the ed80 performs way above its spec and is my favorite scope..don't get me wrong aperture rules for visual viewing but the ed80 is a scope I would recommend all day long for performance and price....as I say to others no one scope covers all aspects of astronomy but the 80 bridges gaps. ...mount wise my pref is an eq....ok I only have the eq3/2 pro but its another wee gem from sw,,, for me the eq3/2 bridges gaps I can use it for video or dslr work and I have it rigged to laptop via eqtooth mod and run from cdc..eqmod. ....far better Than synscan comtroller,,, I don't have the big bucks to but I do my research first and try n bridge the two dslr and video and my kit is adaptable to both....Davy

Thanks for the insight; I'd hook up the az synscan mount to Stellarium when taking my laptop along :-)

But a stand-alone solution would be nice too.

I know for photography the eq mount would be the way to go, but as a  150/750 on EQ-3-2 is often rated as 3 from 5 for visual, and a 114/900 as 4 from 5,  I am not sure I'll buy another compromise with that mount, as the 130/650 would be somewhere inbetween.

I would go for a compromise on the goto az given the low price, as the neq-5 is 280€ without any accessories, and still won't be too good for AP with a 150/750, in case I want to upgrade.

Also, the  weight is an issue, as I want a grab&go solution to carry half a mile.

Sorry, I did not mean to say that the ED80 is bad, but visually it would be a downgrade, and given it's price I'd have to sell one or two of my scopes.

I don't intend to do purely AP, my aim is visual and VA.

Mounts make my head spin, I get reminded again why I like my dobsonians so much. :D

I've been through it myself mate with the " you need heq5 minimum brigade" or the 200mm won't work on a eq3/2 ,,,rubbish I've done it, not saying its ideal but legs in down position and extra weight on counter balance its more than passable for a/p.... for me the beauty of the eq3/2 pro is eqmod its a fantastic bit of kit.when you do a bit on a/p and cross over to video a lot of stuff in Steve Richards book helps big time and I'm indebted to his help when I wanted to kick my scope over back fence in fustration...another thing is the use of a bahtinov mask its a must have item.......I recommend buying this book for info in doing any image capture there's only the diff in capture cameras at end of the day...

Davy

Allways fancied the sw 12 or 14" truss go to......what a darlin of a scope the light gathering and views of the moon are wooooooooow.....roll off roof observitory and one of they bad boys I'd be a happy chappy.oh and a three bar electric fire and a fridge for my irn bru.....ah need a lottery win......Davy

No back yard for an observatory ;-)

If I can scrap it together, this looks portable enough and with 349€ Not that expensive;

http://forum.astronomie.de/phpapps/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1034470/Die_ultimative_Reisemontierung

Though of course I could Get a neq5 for 270€ and motorize it, but that won't fit in my backpack ;-)

No back yard for an observatory ;-)

If I can scrap it together, this looks portable enough and with 349€ Not that expensive;

http://forum.astronomie.de/phpapps/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1034470/Die_ultimative_Reisemontierung

Though of course I could Get a neq5 for 270€ and motorize it, but that won't fit in my backpack ;-)

Now that is one cool setup, I like that a lot :Envy:

The heritage should be ok with a sw al/az goto because you can buy the mount with a 130p.

I've used it with a ed80 and mak127, I also got a 130p but not used it for video.... but its not very steady, a bit wobbly  while videoing, but you can do a few things  to the mount to improve it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfc475/10051389263/

I cant remember if I used a barlow on this.

Hello Johnno, with which telescope was that video recorded?

If I had to guess it looks larger then with the native 650mm FL;

But I have not done much with the cam yet :-)

As i want to use the mount with the 130p and the PD cam, it should be a stable solution, but of course I'd be willing to compromze to some extend - as long as it works :-)

As suggested before I did make a thread in the mounts-section, no response so far; There is a used Nexstar SE 2 on another forum right now, but it has a few broken parts and quirks, not sure I want to tinker with it even if it's a little more rigid.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to work on a mount to increase stability, but of course buying one that fits would be best ;-) 

Hi

Sorry I have not responded sooner.

I have used the SW AZ mount with a number of OTAs - 102 MAK, INED70 and 130p.

To be honest the GOTOs are not that accurate, however the tracking is OK. The 130p puts the greatest load on the mount as it's the longest OTA.

Unless you modify the 130p you will not be able to use a focal reducer so you will be operating at F5 (which is OK for video).

There are a number of things you can do to improve the mount such as strengthen the tripod.

Hope this helps

Paul

Hello Paul,

thank you for your reply!

How critical is the length of the 130/650 on the mount?

Would it be sufficient if I don't extend the tripod all the way and leave it as low as possible?

As it's the h130p Flextube, there should not be any problem getting into focus with the reducer?

I am not sure what the weight difference between the full tubes and the flextubes is;

Thanks!

Marcus, I would think the flexitube is slightly lighter than the 130p. The Saturn video was done on a mak 127 and I think I used a 2x barlow, I've just compared it with a Jupiter video with the same scope but no barlow and the Jupiter is more steady, I'll have to resize it to get it uploaded to flickr.

here is a snapshot of the Jupiter video ,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfc475/10051410456/

the best way to dampen down a az mount is to not extend the legs fully, and to take some sort of bag with you and put all your stuff inside it and hang it underneath your tray with bungee rope

Archived