Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weather Protection of Connections within an Observatory

pmlogg

When I fitted out my dome observatory nearly 2 years ago I was perhaps overly protective of electrical and electronic components - using IP rated sockets, 13.8V power supply, and boxes for cable ends and switches when not in use. There are a few exceptions including car type 12V connectors for the dew controller and a small monitor, a monitor cable, the DB-9 connector for a power focuser and various sockets on the mount. These are all pretty well protected by waterproof covers against possible leaks, but not from condensation. To try and cope with that I have a dehumidifier which runs on a timer for a couple of hours each night.

I'm now wondering whether I could leave more cabling connected between sessions, such as those to/from usb hubs, to the mount's guide port, etc. so as to save further set-up time. Alternatively am I best to continue to keep the components protected while out of use or should I even further protect the components that are currently exposed?

My plan is to leave absolutely everything connected - that's the entire point with no start-up/teardown time other than that it takes to open the dome and maybe take off the lens cap and scope cover.

I may well run a dehumidifier, possibly on a timer.

Another one here who has everything plugged in all the time. I guess you just need to keep a check to see if you do get any serious amount of condensation forming. My observatory has been up and running for about 6 months now and I wondered if condensation was going to be an issue but so far it has been fine. I have a couple of those small rechargeable dessicant de-humidifiers but haven't felt it necessary to invest in anything more substantial as yet - I'll see how things go over the winter months.

Condensation only forms when air is not moving. I think none of our roll-off roofs is air-tight enough for condensation to occur on a scale that would be very harmful to the equipment. At least not in the short term.

I think none of our roll-off roofs is air-tight enough for condensation to occur on a scale that would be very harmful to the equipment.

Mine certainly has plenty of holes that allows fresh air to get in and out :smile:

I tend to leave things connected because many connectors seem to work loose (give bad contact) with continual connecting / disconnecting. I was recently crimping some DB plugs / sockets - Interesting to note that the budget ones are only rated for 100 operations or so? I am thinking of buying a few "sacrificial" gender changers to protect those few connections I still plug / unplug. :)

Or maybe I'm being optimistic in assuming I will get 100 more observing nights... :p

Archived