Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomers Guilt

Bart

Had the guilt yesterday again while watching Germany vs Faroer in live stream. Stopped watching at half time to go out since the sky was wonderfully clear and set up my gear. A lot of troubleshooting later (my Wifi game controller gave up on me) i finally managed 20 subs of M31 at 300s. Then the clouds rolled in at 1am. Was so! happy to have gone out! "Sky Harbinger" is now predicting 3 days of cloud and rain! At least I got data on my SD card to play with once I'm more awake...

Work just gets in the way!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the same with any hobby that is reliant on certain conditions. Surfers feel guilty when they miss great surf. I felt guilty for not riding my mountain bike every day when the trails were dry and dusty. Forget the fact that I had a life other than riding, I needed to ride my bike to make up for 2 years of muddy, sloppy trails.....

You guys are strange lol.

Their are absolutely NO rules for any hobby. If you fancy popping out and looking/imaging through your scope then pop out, if you don't fancy it then don't.

You have your whole life to do the things the want, you really shouldn't be feeling obliged to go out if you prefer to stay in, and you shouldn't be allowing anyone to make you feel as though you have an obligation to do so.

Just enjoy your hobby the way YOU want to enjoy it, no need to turn it into an obsession.

I must admit I can suffer the guilt too sometimes - although in my case work are fairly flexible if I turn up late after a nights observing/imaging ;)

For me the guilt comes from there not being enough clear nights - I know if I miss one session then at some point in the near future when it's cloudy I'll regret not having gone out.

That said... it is a hobby... but, to misquote and paraphrase Steve (FLO), Astronomy isn't the most important thing in my life but it sure as hell beats whatever comes second :)

James

Archived