Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very successful night with new kit!!

Hi all - Horsham skies were very clear with very good seeing until about 11:30 so I set up and went through my synscans DSO tour once I'd got the focus set on Capella (no live view).

I was blown away by the results! The Andromeda Galaxy, the Whirlpool Galaxy, M13 and even the Dumbell Nebula!! All on my first shoot!

I plan to process them tomorrow and will then post them online.

One question - although I was polar aligned it was not precise which I understand is required for long exposures. I tried to get the gold and blue binary - Alberino? - but I couldn't pin point it. I did notice though that there was star drift the more "up" the scope pointed. Is this down to the rough polar align?

Cheers

Happy Frank

Ok, here are some pictures from last night, would appreciate comments and suggestions!

These were basically Bulb setting point-and-shoot shots with random guess on how long to do exposures for.

As I don't have Live View, I found the best thing to do for focussing was to find a bright star with my wide angle eyepiece and focus. Then remove the 1.25" adapter, release the holder, thread this onto the T-mount and then put this onto the camera. Then slip the camera into the open eyepiece tube and do a final check then use the shutter release for x seconds. This seems a little round about the houses - any suggestions on a better technique?

All of these images have been edited in Photoshop CS3.

One thing I don't quite understand is how magnification works with a DSLR/webcam. I understand a 10mm eyepiece in a 750mm focal length scope gives 75x - but how does that work with a camera? I've yet the photo the Moon with it yet, but how do you do variable zooming without a lens or eyepiece?

And I found the higher up the object the quicker star smearing began? Is this right if Polaris is not set currently?

Cheers

frank

9643229575_9fea0de10d.jpg

Triangulum Galaxy

9646468820_c83975825f.jpg

M13

9646470608_8612926d39.jpg

Dumbbell Nebula

9643235973_76ba842505.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy

Congratulations on a very positive start with your new kit :smiley:

I am new to imaging myself so I will offer what little advice I can. To help with focusing use a Bahtinov mask. Not having live view is a bit of a pain but not the end of the world - you will need to take a test exposure of a bright star and then zoom in to check the focus, and then repeat until perfect focus is achieved.

As for the star smearing you mention, I think that is probably due to a rough polar alignment. Obviously the better your polar alignment, the more accurate your tracking will be.

Don't think I can really answer your question about magnification other than to say that with your camera the telescope basically becomes a large lens.

Hope this helps, and if I've got anything wrong I'm sure someone will correct me!

Gareth

Great start! As stated above, to get your focus spot on you should really get a Bahtinov mask (buy or make one yourself). Here's a good link explaining the process of making one. I used a thick piece of paper instead of plastic since it's easier to cut.

Re magnification, have a look at Olly's post here.

I used to image with an EQ3-2 mount, and to get 30 sec exposures or above without guiding you really need to polar align using the drift alignment method.

/Patrik

Nice shots

It was only my 3rd go at using my new kit tonight but I am starting to realise the, find and focus bits can be a 'challenge' especially as i don't have a Goto scope, but I do find the following helps (I know it's long winded but stay with me).

• Find bright target (Vega is good for me at the moment) and locate it in your finder scope
  • Look in your eye piece and slowly move the scope until it is bag in the centre and focus
  • realign the finder scope so it too is now centred
  • Move scope to find target
  • Confirm target and notice its position in relation to other stuff in the finder scope (Because you won't see it next time!)
  • Move scope back to Vega, confirm in Eye piece, replace EP with camera
  • look through camera view finder and you should just about make out the bright disk of Vega if not move the focus in, mine goes almost fully down.
  • If your night vision is good you can get a pretty good focus but this is where live view really helps but it's not required.
  • take a test shot I use 10 sec iso 800 for vega.
  • Very slight refocus if required, best to get it right here.
  • when happy move scope to target as you noted in the finder scope last time.
  • take a shot and see what you get, with luck and practice (and no small amount of patience) I find this is starting to work.

I also find that I am learning the skies as I need to locate close brighter reference stars to start the finder scope alignment and focus stuff.

I also tend to try for between 15 and 20 lights at between ISO 800 and 1600.

Sorry if that is all very obvious but I have found that it really helps and can be a nice way to explore he skies while mixing observation and imaging.

Best of luck!

Archived