NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ok so it's not a DIY observatory !

Newfie

Ok so it's not a DIY Observatory but I have managed to fulfil a lifelong ambition and have a observatory I managed to get hold of a used 2.7m Pulsar Observatory as I was feed up with lugging my CPC1100 from upstairs and it just was not getting the use it deserves. So here's a couple pics to show the progress I just need some friends now to help with lifting the dome on. :laugh: :laugh:

post-11979-0-39316300-1377986026_thumb.j

post-11979-0-60540800-1377986072_thumb.j

post-11979-0-34679600-1377986105_thumb.j

post-11979-0-34459900-1377986129_thumb.j

Hi Jake

yes 3 cube of concrete and ducting in for the power etc. I just need to sort a pier for my scope now and should be on my way, but am also looking at adding some new eyepieces.

I think that sounds like honest DIY to me! I have my own concrete and pier foundations to do for my own obs - makes my back twinge just thinking about it ;)

Will look forward to reading about the fit out and any automation info - good luck with getting this up and running in short order.

Thanks for sharing those photos. I'd be interested to see some close-ups as the design has certainly changed since I got my ex-demo model 2.7m from Pulsar. For example mine did not have a solid ring plus separate wall panels (which looks as if it makes it easier to keep perfectly round) and the upper portion of the walls is different too.

"It's not a DIY Observatory"

It will certainly feel that way when, two years hence, you are still messing around with stuff? :p

Wouldn't surprise me if I have spent almost as much on (often mundane) fittings as the pre-built walls / roof. But, with limited physical resources and more major construction skills needed, I needed the "start"... ;)

Certainly looks DIY to me, even if it is a "previously enjoyed" commercially produced dome. It's not like people who stick-build their own obsy grow and season the timber themselves, is it? Well, not often, anyhow.

James

Thanks for the feedback guy's and yes I suppose I have done quite an amount f DIY to get it to this point. PMLOGG I will post some close up pictures for you I don't know how old this is and I am sure it has been redesigned from my configuration. The new ones seem to have far less components like you say the wall structure on the latest units seem to sit under the dome with no other components., mine has a ring of six floor standing parts then the wall and door units and then another level of six parts with the castors etc for the dome to run on. There is no steel rail for this to run on it just sits under the fibre glass dome ! do the new ones have a rail as standard I have had a rail fabricated and plan to fit this between the dome and the base.

The newest version does not have any sort of rail. If you look at the instructions availale from the download section of Pulsar Observatory's website (www.pulsarobservatories.com/downloads.php)it shows 2 sets of 8 wheeels, all mounted to the observatory walls, 8 stick up through the top flange to support the dome, the other 8 are 'side-thrust wheels to keep the dome in the correct position. The earlier models did have a rail- mine was tubular with rollers like the one now used as the shutter pulley. An intermediate model used a different form of rail and rollers, but otherwise was like mine. Mine had 4 quadrants, not sets of 6 parts.

• 1 month later...

Archived