Televue - decisions, decisions. Help needed!!

Stu

Thanks very much for your views Mark, appreciated.

For clarity/simplicity I did not mention other eyepieces I have but I do have a x2 2" PowerMate, 3 to 6 nag zoom and a selection of nice TV eps for higher power stuff. I didn't want to confuse matters by mentioning them here!!

Once sorted, I will post up about all my kit. It is certainly not easy to decide. There is no dramatic urgency about the T4's, I have other things to sell first so I will get some good observing time under my belt with the newer (to me) ethos' (21 and 17), and also put the 24mm pan vs the 22mm nag more seriously in the TV76 before finally deciding

Cheers

Stu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stu you do have a nice travel scope setup with the TV76. I think you are correct in giving the 24mm Panoptic and the 22mm Nagler a side by side comparison before finally deciding. The use of a wide EP - Nagler or Panoptic + Powermate + Nagler zoom is a great travel kit. With regard to the 17mm Ethos now that you have this great EP it would not be a good decision to sell it especially with the recent price drop - hence the suggestion to sell the 17mm Nagler.

I suppose your final decision should be based around your final scope which you say will be a larger Dob. The Ethos EPs will always be the best choice hence again losing the 17mm Nagler. On the 31mm Nagler I know that the exit pupil will be too large on the Dob but on the OMC200 it must be kept for that scope.

When do you think that you will complete the refurbishment on the Orion Newt? What does the refurbishment entail?

Mark

Thanks again Mark, sound advice.

You are right in that the Ethos' will be great in whichever large dob I end up with, but the 21e and 31n are also really lovely in the 106EDT, amazing widefield views.

The 10" is in pieces at the moment. I am changing the primary holding mechanism to improve the cooling and make collimation easier. I also want to replace the secondary support from its current, thick two vane to a nicer, thin four vane. Life just seems to get it the way of me spending any time getting it sorted but that is a poor excuse, I just need to get on with it!

Stu

It's a dangerous and slippery slope so make sure you and your wallet are ready!! :-)

One challenge is trying to plan for a scope that I don't yet have, to save selling the wrong eps now. I think I'm getting there now. Pretty much decided on selling the 17t4 and either the 24mm Pan or the 22t4.

I think I'm fairly well sorted at the higher mag ranges too so will consolidate it all and post up what I have got. I've acquired a lot of kit over the summer and have yet to try it all under good, dark conditions so am looking forward to some clear skies this autumn and winter. Also looking forward to Jupiter returning for a good look at that again.

Cheers

Stu

Stu,

I would off load the two T4 Naglers as they are too close to the 21mm E and the same as the 17mm E. I feel the optical quality of the Ethos is a bit better than the Nagler, sadly both have come down in price now though.

I say this though having never owned these two wondeful eyepieces but that is my generall impression from the 8 I have.

That would be my choice.

Alan

Archived