NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Payday is on the way and i decided a couple months ago that i will be buying an EQ6! At the moment i use an Astrotrac which i will be keeping, but as awesome as this little bit of kit is, i am eager for longer exposures and so i am starting to build up a more capable imaging rig.

My question is about power. I have been reading around and stop me if i'm wrong but the general consensus is that power tanks are no good. Everybody seems to lean more towards leisure batteries. I have no experience with neither so i was wondering if someone could enlighten me.

How do you hook everything up to these batteries, a far as i can tell from pictures you have the + and - on top where you would usually clamp to croc clips but no input for anything else like you would have on a power tank?

I want something that i will be able to power both an EQ6 and an Astrotrac off, not necessarily at the same time. I am only asking now as i am trying to plan if i will have to buy anything else to be able to hook these mounts up to said battery as my budget is spread thin already.

Thanks in advance to anyone able to help me out :)

The easy way on a budget would be to use a leisure battery with a three way cig lighter socket strapped to the side connected with croc clips to the battery terminals. Plain and easy. Gives you all the power you need and connections. The connections are limited to what you want, you could use banana plugs etc.

The attraction to power tanks appears to be lightness, but that comes at a price ie light battery light power time.

Cheers Carl

Thanks for the info guys!

Tinker, i just had a look at the battery you mentioned, is it 7 amp hours? That seems very low. I was under the impression that i would need something in the 80-100 amp hour range to run everything needed with an imaging rig.

I am thinking a power tank would be ok with the astrotrac because it doesn't need much power. A leisure battery would be handy for the EQ6 though...

Thanks for the info guys!

Tinker, i just had a look at the battery you mentioned, is it 7 amp hours? That seems very low. I was under the impression that i would need something in the 80-100 amp hour range to run everything needed with an imaging rig.

I am thinking a power tank would be ok with the astrotrac because it doesn't need much power. A leisure battery would be handy for the EQ6 though...

Sorry should have linked it, its a PSU runs on the mains, kept inside you property then a twin core cable as long as you need out to your mount.....makes for a very stable mount all night long....

http://www.maplin.co...power-units-231

Go for a leisure battery at least 80ah that should give you about 25 hours of viewing before needing to charge. I use this with a cig socket and croc clips and a 3way cig socket extension all inside a battery box, which i leave on the patio under a table. You will also need a battery charger. Power packs dont seem to last too long so i think they are false economy. A good leisure battery should last you many years.

Archived