Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'd avoid it like the plague, personally. Firstly because I think it's far too cheap to be a reasonable quality refractor, secondly because it uses 0.965" eyepieces and thirdly because there's no way that telescope is going to achieve anything close to 338x magnification, nor probably even half that. Oh, and fourthly because the tripod is likely to be made of jelly.

James

I agree with James, all those points are true, plus it is for terrestrial use, not astronomy. Avoid like the plague as James says. If you want a 'real' telescope, go to a proper telescope shop like the sponsers of this forum, get expert advice from them.

I agree with James here. That telescope is an insult. The two cheapest I can recommend, and that have a second hand value due to quality are these:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html - best optics for the price. Cannot beat that price/aperture ratio. Many seasoned veterans still prefer this one due to it's compact size and quality.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-tabletop-telescope.html - while the mount is a cheap wobbly thing, the ST80 tube has good value due to reasonable quality and it's popularity as a guide-scope for astrophotography setups.

But! All is not lost. If you're looking to spend a little less but still want to be able to take in the night sky you can come a long way with a pair of binoculars. Especially if you get a pair that can be fastened on a large tripod.

If you want to buy something to see if astronomy is the hobby for you, this one doesn't cost much more and is much more suitable - http://www.firstligh...ercury-705.html . As you'll see, for the same aperture it suggests 140x as a maximum practical magnification. There are plenty of alternatives around and you'll be better served if you look at astronomy retailers rather than camera shops who are just looking to sell the odd cheap telescope on the side.However, I suggest you do a bit more research and ask questions on this forum to avoid disappointment. James' points in the preceding post are spot on.Mike

I think it's far to say that you'll find many happy users of the Heritage 130P. All telescopes seem to have their little foibles, but for the money I think it's very hard to beat. It's pretty much "no frills", but that does mean that a very large proportion of the money you're spending is going on the optics. Should you eventually decide on that model you may find you prefer to use it from a tabletop or some other means of lifting it off the ground. I know of some who do and some who are happy not to.

James

I think it's far to say that you'll find many happy users of the Heritage 130P. All telescopes seem to have their little foibles, but for the money I think it's very hard to beat. It's pretty much "no frills", but that does mean that a very large proportion of the money you're spending is going on the optics. Should you eventually decide on that model you may find you prefer to use it from a tabletop or some other means of lifting it off the ground. I know of some who do and some who are happy not to.

James

I agree with James. While the Heritage 130P is almost £100 more, it will be capable of showing you a lot more and will last for a lot longer. It does have it's own set of foibles (focuser mainly), but don't let these put you off. I've had this scope since late April 2012 and haven't moved it on :).

If I had that budget I'd pick up a pair of binoculars or a a monocular of better quality (as it's half a binocular logic says you could get better quality using the same budget you'd use on binoculars).

I just picked up a Barr & Stroud sprite monocular 10x50 from ebay for £30 ish. It'd be much better than that Nippon scope. Obviously it's fixed magnification. You can get a 20x50 one as well but I'd expect 20x to wobble quite alot hand held.

If you want a telescope on a mount then save up a bit more money, otherwise get bins/monoc. Getting some tacky scope could put you off astronomy for life which would be criminal and a lifetime's pleasure lost.

• 3 months later...

Archived