NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Silly Question

Absolutely not. Nothing you look at in the night sky with a telescope can harm your eyesight...............not even a full moon (as bright as it is). The ONLY thing that can and will harm your eyes without the proper filters is the Sun.

To observe the Sun safely.............this is the very least you should do so with:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

Out of curiosty can looking at the night sky through a telescope damage your eyesight, particularly at stars?

No, but it can cause substantial damage to your bank account, sleep patterns, family relations, etc, etc.

I think that because you are looking very close to the eyepiece, it can increase your risk of short sightedness, bit other than that, it's not too bad.

That sounds unlikely to me. If for no other reason, the rays coming out of the back of the eyepiece are parallel (if you're not already long or short sighted), so objects you're seeing are at infinity. In other words, your eye considers what it is sees through the eyepiece to be very, very, far away, not very close.

That sounds unlikely to me. If for no other reason, the rays coming out of the back of the eyepiece are parallel (if you're not already long or short sighted), so objects you're seeing are at infinity. In other words, your eye considers what it is sees through the eyepiece to be very, very, far away, not very close.

I think this depends on focus. My understanding is if you approach focus from beyond infinity, you'll reach it with your eye lens working as though it were looking at a distant object. If you approach focus from a close focus, you'll reach it with your eye lens working as though it were looking at a near object. (It is possible I've got them the wrong way round!)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived