Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Corrector Plate Issue Possible... Help

Hi guys

I have had my C9.25 for a few years now and its been great, i recently got a Hyperstar for it and i think i may have an issue.

I took out the secondary mirror as per the instructions and placed it in its holder and as per the instructions i attached the hyperstar to the front of the scope and wound it on "Touch Tight" no issues, however the secondary mirror holder attached to the corrector plate isn't tight, it is moving & i dont mean there is play from left to right i mean as i tightened the hyperstar on it went touch tight but the seconday mirror holder rotates.

I have taken the hyperstar of but im concearned that it might not unscrew from the SMH in the future.

Can the SMH be tightend up & if so how?

I think that the SMH is held in the corrector plate by the same, in priciple method, as holding a lampshade to a lightbulb, i.e. trapping the plate between two screwed components. I'm not familiar with Hyperstar operation but you might be able to reach in through the corrector plate aperture to tighten the SMH. If not, you would probably have to remove the corrector plate to do so. :smiley:

its a known problem on some Celestron SCTs. The secondary has a fibre or cork ring that is supposed to hold it in place. This can slip and the whole secondary mount can rotate. If you can get the Hyper star off, then you might be able to get your fingers in to tighten the secondary holder down. The best solution is to take the holder off, take the corrector off and fit a new gasket.

You will probably have lost the correct orientation of the secondary holder now. From memory, I think that the cut-out notch that locates the secondary mirror should be in the 3 o'clock position when looking at the corrector (ie, diagonally opposite from the focus er mechanism)

So how do you no the corrector is on the right way. When I took mine Off I just put it back on so that the name On the corrector was 90 degrees to the centre of the tube, but after reading this I do remember seeing 2 small chips in the glass are theses alignment marks. ?

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

So how do you no the corrector is on the right way. When I took mine Off I just put it back on so that the name On the corrector was 90 degrees to the centre of the tube, but after reading this I do remember seeing 2 small chips in the glass are theses alignment marks. ?

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

I think that the SMH is held in the corrector plate by the same, in priciple method, as holding a lampshade to a lightbulb, i.e. trapping the plate between two screwed components. I'm not familiar with Hyperstar operation but you might be able to reach in through the corrector plate aperture to tighten the SMH. If not, you would probably have to remove the corrector plate to do so. :smiley:

Anyone any idea what size that gasket would be???

Spoken with Celestron & David Hinds directly and they have suggested it goes back for a factory service via a supplier which i think i'm gonna do cause i don't have the bottle to take the corrector plate off myself (all kinds of broken glass). Widescreen Centre said they can send it back for me.

All very annoying, still cant use my hyperstar :embarrassed:

Archived