NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

White Light Sun - 20/08/2013

Luke

I just missed getting some images this morning as the lovely blue patch that was coming over didn't quite make it to the sun in time :eek: Conditions didn't seem so good this evening with some thin/hazy cloud over the sun, but I was keen to try and grab a shot of those incredible spots!

I used my new 1.6x Barlow - as recommended by the usual suspects in the solar forum :icon_salut: - to zoom in a bit on the sun, which just fitted inside the frame, making the most of the pixels. I used my undriven Giro III mount on a lovely Vixen Hal130 tripod, which I'm finding very convenient as a quick/low hassle setup.

gallery_2875_2627_261550.jpg

gallery_2875_2627_42388.jpg

gallery_2875_2627_127480.jpg

Very nice they are as well Luke and lucky you to have some blue sky. The 1.6x barlows really seem to suit solar imaging. I have a Televue 2x and a Cemax 2x, neither are as good as the cheapo 1.6 for Ha.

Robin

Thanks, folks :smiley: Sorry to hear some of you are not getting enough Vitamin D at the mo, hope you get a deserved break soon. I'll have to work on my multi-tasking - I didn't use the 1.6x Barlow for this white light, I used it on the H-a scope that night! (and very handy it is too).

:iamwithstupid:

With the white light and Herschel Wedge, I use a Baader Glass Path corrector to barlow up due to the funny adapters I use on the wedge to shorten the focal path.

That's funny Robin that it beats other much more expensive Barlows. I noticed that great DSO eyepieces don't necessarily make great solar EP's. Too much clever glass?

Archived