Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7789

jetstream

It is quite a faint object. The brightest stars in it are about 11th mag.

Start at rho Cas (mag 4.5), Then move SE to HD224151 (mag 6 11'), then in the same line a further 24' to reach HD 224425 (mag 7.3). These are the brightest stars in that line. NGC 7789 is 25' S of this position.

The first star brighter than 224425 is HD224320 (mag6.5), which is 53' S of NGC 7789, so if you reach that you have seriously overshot.

It appears as a faint 'mist' of stars (there are 900-1000 in the cluster).

HTH

"Caroline's Rose" also known as " Herschel's spiral" is one of my favourite targets. You won't see much of it's beauty from town. Under dark skies it's a very beautiful cluster at x50 and above. What you'll see is a pattern of dense stars set in lanes in the shape of an old English rose.

I can imagine Caroline running to her brother to show him ! I was talking with some imagers at a star party and they hadn't seen it, but were amazed as this little mentioned beauty.

It's off the tail rhs of Cassiopeia, just about spottable in 15x70 's. I 've often mentioned NGC 7789, have a look and enjoy. It'll take 90mm, but does need good transparency to pick out it's delicacy.

NGC 6939 in nearby Cepheus is also quite starry , but not as quality,

Nick.

"Caroline's Rose" also known as " Herschel's spiral" is one of my favourite targets. You won't see much of it's beauty from town. Under dark skies it's a very beautiful cluster at x50 and above. What you'll see is a pattern of dense stars set in lanes in the shape of an old English rose.

I can imagine Caroline running to her brother to show him ! I was talking with some imagers at a star party and they hadn't seen it, but were amazed as this little mentioned beauty.

It's off the tail rhs of Cassiopeia, just about spottable in 15x70 's. I 've often mentioned NGC 7789, have a look and enjoy. It'll take 90mm, but does need good transparency to pick out it's delicacy.

NGC 6939 in nearby Cepheus is also quite starry , but not as quality,

Nick.

I don't think I was looking at the right object!When I bombing around with the alt az I get way off sometimes.... :smiley: What I saw was a very faint roundish star cluster(?),barely seeable,but I may have ended up on the wrong side of Cassiopeia.I'm going to keep on trying,HTH-thanks for the directions!!

Basically drop off the rh end of Cassiopeia, making the W continue on a downward track, it's a really lovely cluster and it'll be high in the sky just now,

Nick.

Nick,I am now on a mission to find this!If the sky holds I'm driving 50k to a darker spot and givin 'er another whirl...

• 2 weeks later...

Use low power as it is quite large. Its a lovely glow in small aperture scopes. I can see it in my 80mm binoculars so you should pick it up if you can see mag 5 stars naked eye.

It is a lovely object.

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Use low power as it is quite large. Its a lovely glow in small aperture scopes. I can see it in my 80mm binoculars so you should pick it up if you can see mag 5 stars naked eye.

It is a lovely object.

Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark,I'm struggling with this one,possibly because I have been trying to see very faint galaxies in my scope & maybe my object recognition is geared toward this......Ok that is my excuse :grin: !When the clouds go away here and there is no moon,I"m going to try again-first at 27x& 3.3 deg FOV & then 39x @ 2 deg,I'll check for the Mag 5 stars too.I think I still look for some objects under too light of skies!Still learning here..... :icon_scratch:

It is true to say that seeing galaxies and faint star clusters takes “practice“ when I show galaxies to the public there is a wide range from oh yes I can see that to I cannot see anything when looking at the same faint galaxy...when some finally see it they then say oh yes now I can see it and then they find it obvious to spot it...

One of those little mysteries in life...so do not give up...keep trying..its worth it.

Mark

Well tonite was the night!I finally got NGC 7789 :icon_biggrin: and I am very happy-took a few tries but it paid off.I drove out to an old bush airstrip and for a while the sky was jet black,except the milky way was kind of brightening where I was if that is possible.M31 was HUGE,& its companion galaxies stood out very well.Maybe I"ll make another post about some more....Thanks for all the help guys

Archived