Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Possible Supernova Observation this evening 15/08/2013 22.25hrs

Selborne

Good Evening,

I just wanted to share an observation this evening which may have been a supernova, at 22.25 hours a very bright star like object appeared at a bearing of 246 degrees as observed from Ramsgate, Kent only 4 degrees above the horizon, it held its full brightness (apparent magnitude around -6) for around 15 mins and then started to fade away disappearing completely from view around 22.52hrs, I had no telescope available, so it was just a naked eye observation.

Did anybody else see it ? an I just dreaming :-) any clues to what it may have been ? It moved position in the observed time based on the expected celestial position.

Jamie

Supernovae don't behave like that. They brighten over a period of days or weeks, then gradually fade over a few months. Perhaps you saw the ISS, an Iridium flare or a Chinese lantern?

I saw something bright in the sky on August 13 evening , naked eye... But it was only visible for 15-20 seconds here in town. Very bright... About 1/8 size of moon at largest... Clear skies. I had no other explanation than a supernova. Next day this: http://www.space.com/22389-nova-star-explosion-delphinus-discovery.html

I know highly improbable, right. I'm appropriately amazed.

The shorter duration sighting mentioned above was likely a head-on meteor. As for the 15 minute duration sighting my only thought would be slow moving space-junk or the head-on plane mentioned by Moonshane.

Anybody out there looking for the Nova can't have missed the Space station just to the South by about 4 Degrees, couple of minutes before this post time....

Yep - a very bright pass indeed :smiley:

I remember the days when you could go looking for Mir... I'm beginning to feel quite attached to the ISS. I was pointing it out to people at a party last night - fortunately they were the kind of people who were interested! Also been out looking up the Delphinius Nova.

Had the original poster seen a bright object in the South-east I'd have suggested it was the French. As it is, planet Venus?

DD

Hi Guys, thanks for all the reply's and comments. With regard to the ISS, yes it was visible the same evening very nice view around the same time, the main reason I was outside observing. With regard to what I saw, yes I am not sure, not a plane or Chinese lantern due to the length of time it was visible and did not move (other than celestial movement). I would ask, what is an iridium flare ? is this what I saw, do they last for 15-20 mins and vary in intensity ?

I have been an amateur astronomer for 40 years so, trust me when I say it was not man made, it was celestial, hence my post.

Either way thanks for the information,

is it possible it was Antares? based on your (now) stated experience, this is perhaps unlikely but maybe it peeped out of cloud which could not be seen and then dipped below the horizon? certainly mentioning your experience helps and would have probably resulted in different answers originally, but that's our fault for assuming - sorry if this caused offence.

an Iridium flare would not on reflection seem likely as they last a short period of time. it's a specific type of satellite which due to its construction creates an intense and short lasting extreme brightness - can be seen in broad daylight sometimes I think.

not a plane or Chinese lantern due to the length of time it was visible and did not move (other than celestial movement). I would ask, what is an iridium flare ? is this what I saw, do they last for 15-20 mins and vary in intensity ?

How accurately did you assess its movement on the sky? Did you track it with a telescope or judge its position relative to the stars? Did you time it or is the 15-20 minutes a subjective estimate?

It certainly wasn't a supernova, nova or any kind of unusual star (if it had been then it would have been seen from half the planet and we would all have heard about it by now). if it really was moving with the stars then my guess would be a star or planet that became hidden by cloud (the cloud itself not being visible). If it had some other kind of motion then the guess would be a bright satellite (e.g. Iridium, though they flare only briefly).

Most likely, I would say, is a distant aircraft. At my site I see passenger planes on their approach to an airport about 20 miles away. I see them low over the horizon, coming almost exactly head-on towards me for quite some time (several minutes) - a bright white light that looks like a very bright star almost stationary on the sky, but then gradually appearing to be slowly moving. Eventually they turn, the light is less intense, and it's pretty obvious what they are. First time I saw one I was a bit mystified.

The other thing I've seen them do is apparently rise over a distant hill, hover, and go down behind the hill again. Just a line-of-sight effect from the distant aircraft as it moves. If I didn't know better then I'd say it was a UFO.

What amazes me most is how bright the "headlights" of a aircraft are, at a range of many miles. Just another source of light pollution...

Thanks guys, I think the bright star fading in and out behind low cloud, might well be the best explanation, even though I could not see any cloud, it was very low to the horizon. I appreciate the comments, and like you guys I am probably of the belief that it was not a supernova, :huh:

many thanks :smiley:

Archived