Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What bins would complement a 200p dob?

I'm finding it hard to be able to use my dob due too working nights and also the transportation issue when we go away (to usually darker skies). It WON'T fit in the car what with luggage and the big hound. So I'm looking for a pair of large quality bins. I have a smaller pair (Olympus dps1 10x50) and I find myself using these more than the dob. So what would ppl recommend? I know I won't be able to see planet detail or detail in nebs or galaxies but even if they show up as a smudge,I will be happy. Clusters, asteroids,comets decent views of the moon. Maybe even veil nebulae from darker skies. Any advice would be welcome......thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure how large you had intended or your budget, but I would wholeheartedly recommend the Helios Apollo 15x70. I upgraded from the DSP-1 to to this model and it has become my most used instrument. I also had the 22x85 but didn't keep it long as I found it nowhere near as sharp as the smaller model.

Although I do use mine occasionally for terrestrial use, I'd be more inclined to opt for a center focus binocular if birding & plane spotting is an important criteria. The Helios Apollo with individual eyepiece focusing isn't ideally suited to these pursuits. Another thing to consider is that aperture is not as important for terrestrial use, so perhaps maybe a quality 10x50 might fit the bill better?, maybe something like this.....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/porroprism/opticron-srga-porroprism.html

As for the actual field of view (FOV) for your dob I don't know the answer to this, but I do have a pair of Sony 7x50's & a pair of 20x80's. With the 20x80's you will definately need a tripod or monopod and the views are awesome (that's my opinion).

I definately recommend a pair of binoculars for those 'grab & go' sessions. The late Sir Patrick Moore's book "Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars" is an excellant reference book and read too!

So are there any good quality recommend center focus 15x70 bins,are these apollos in a league of there own? I here a lot about the quantum 4 bins,how do these compare?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quantum 4 Bins are nice, I upgraded from these to the Apollo. The main noticeable difference with the Apollo 15x70, is the improved contrast. therefore creating a more defined image quality.

+1 for 15x70 Helios Apollo. Not so good for birding (as has already been said, you really need CF for that, but you have the Oly 10x50) but, if you set them to focus on the hyperfocal distance (the close focus distance at which your eyes can still bring objects at infinity to acceptable focus -- with the Apollo this is likely to be somewhere between 15 and 35m, depending on your personal definition of "acceptable"), they will be useful for most other terrestrial purposes. You'll want to re-set to infinity focus for astro use.

Archived