Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece check before I buy.

mert

Now that TeleVue has dropped their prices a little and the skies are getting dark :0

I think I'll treat myself to a nice low power quality eyepiece, I was thinking about the 35mm Panoptic? Scope is 22" - f/4.8.

Would this compliment the scope?

Thanks

if you have quite dark skies then probably yes (looks like you do?). personally though, I'd sooner have a 26mm Nagler or failing that a 27mm Panoptic mainly due to exit pupil. I just think that even with good sky, the 35mm would be a bit washed out.

all that said, I have just noticed your other eyepieces. if I were you and assuming you are happy with the 30mm, I am not sure Id get a low power, but look for something at a higher power. what about a 16mm Nagler? they seem very cheap and that would give you a rather nice 167x approx. assuming I have worked out your focal length correctly?

I agree with Shane. I don't think you will benefit from a longer focal length eyepiece - your 30mm 82 degree shows just about as much sky as the scope will show and with a more optimal exit pupil than a 35mm eyepiece will deliver.

I've read quite a lot about "big blue" over the years since it was created. The views must be magnificent on a dark night :smiley:

all that said, I have just noticed your other eyepieces. if I were you and assuming you are happy with the 30mm, I am not sure Id get a low power, but look for something at a higher power. what about a 16mm Nagler? they seem very cheap and that would give you a rather nice 167x approx. assuming I have worked out your focal length correctly?

Indeed, the 16mm would sit nicely in between the 12 & 20.

I agree with Shane. I don't think you will benefit from a longer focal length eyepiece - your 30mm 82 degree shows just about as much sky as the scope will show and with a more optimal exit pupil than a 35mm eyepiece will deliver.

I've read quite a lot about "big blue" over the years since it was created. The views must be magnificent on a dark night :smiley:

Thanks John, back to the drawing board with eyepiece choice lol

I'm hoping to get a lot more use from Big Blue now, the scope was in Edinburgh until mid March, then moved to Loch Rannoch, I had one or two nights with the scope in Loch Rannoch, not very successful with patches of cloud etc, then with the light nights I've never had a proper chance to use it.

I would be interested on any info you have on the scope, a previous owner "Linton" was so helpful of giving me advice on it.

If you wanted to treat your new scope to some premium glass then you could swap your ES eyepieces for TV equivalents. I'm not sure how much difference they would make, but you could do a nice comparison and feed back. I'm pretty sure you would be able to off-load any spare ES eyepieces. :)

I am not going to disagree with John and Shane, though the 35mm Panoptic is a super eyepieces and my most used. The 16mm idea is a really good one and in a scope that size I am sure will be outstanding, should be a fantastic globular eyepiece!

The other option to push the envelope a bit is a 10mm Delos, outstanding eyepiece though compaired to the 16mm Nagler they are not so cheap.

Alan

....I would be interested on any info you have on the scope, a previous owner "Linton" was so helpful of giving me advice on it....

I'll have a dig around and see what I can find :smiley:

John I love my UO 12mm konjng really sharp to the edge Great for globulars at 105x And flat field In my RV-6 scope

The original posters scope is an F/4.8 20" Dale. I don't think a Konig would work too well in that !

• 1 month later...

Hi, ended up getting the 16mm Nagler, thanks for the recommendation, hopefully it will be clear sometime this week as I'm off, and with Orion rising late into the night perhaps I'll get a chance to use on The Horsehead Nebula in the 22". Those 1.25" and 2" H-beta filter are like ornaments

Archived