Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY Binocular Pier.

Damo636

A minor annoyance when using a binocular tripod mounted, is that at some point the legs will get in the way! Although not so much of a problem with a Parallelogram mount, I decided I would have a go at improving my setup a little further.

When I had the 10lb 22x85 Helios Apollo (since rehomed), I felt it was a little undermounted on the P-mount/475 tripod. In fairness, the whole setup, (binocular, mount & counter weights) was encroaching on the tripods 26lb capacity. Although it didn't work out with the 22x85, I still plan on adding another big binocular to the stable at some point. So, rather than shelling out for another even heavier duty tripod, I thought I'd try a different approach!

A quick raid of the off cuts bin at work later and I was in posession of a nice 5' length of heavy duty 4" pipe. I managed to beg a flange of the boss for the base, & after approx 30 minutes of drilling, tapping & welding later, my pier was born!

I had the opportunity last night to try it out for the first time & I'm delighted to report, its as solid as a rock! In addition, set up/tear down time is now reduced and it takes no more than 2 minutes either way. The best part though, the whole thing only cost £17 (primer and nice zinc coat spray paint)

My next job is to somehow attach wheels to the lounger for completely hands free 360º movement (yep, I'm a lazy so and so when it comes to observing with binoculars!)

post-11833-0-22514700-1375959005_thumb.j

post-11833-0-97617400-1375959071_thumb.j

post-11833-0-87485500-1375959135_thumb.j

That's an awfully big concrete block you've poured for that little pier. Do you have other plans for it?

Yep, its 12'x12' and allows me plenty of room to have the dob and the bins set up at the same time :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived