NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How hot did your observatory get too?

oly2b

During the last month my finished un-insulated observatory got up to approx 36 deg C.

Roofing material EPDM rubber sheeting, wooden stud work, 11/18mm OSB and t&g cladding.

The other week I fitted six 4'x8' sheets of 50mm Recitel Insulation to both fixed and moving roof and the warm room and now the temperature is under control.

What experiences have others had over the last warm period?

I deliberately haven't insulated the roof of my observatory as this prevent heat escaping during the night before I roll the roof back. Instead, I have a light weight, relatively reflective pale cream metal roof with very thin (1-2mm thick) insulation on the inside to condensation forming on the inside of the roof. There is a small solar powered fan near the apex of the roof to help vent warm air that accumulates in the roof apex. This seems to work quite well and cool down periods are relatively short for my 8" SCT.

My wooden shed with felt covered pent roof and no insulation maxed out at 43C recently, when the outdoor shade temperature was 31C. Probably not healthy for the camera and mount electronics. I've been leaving the roof open a few inches since then but must get round to some proper ventilation.

Adrian

Yes I too was positioning the moving roof so that there was maximum amount gap to allow ventilation.

I like the Whirlybird vent but look expensive in the Uk, $50 USA which translates in to £175 on Amazon Uk.

My observatory have a roof made from foam insulated panels - 10 cm thickness. The walls are from same material but thinner (5 cm), everything being painted in white. As a result, inside is always minimum 5 degrees cooler than outside.

Archived