Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod For Binoculars!

I wouls usually say that Hama Star tripods are completely useless. Far to wobbly. Yours looks a bit sturdier then others i have seen and used. If it doesnt work out for you, you can always buy a quality tripod for a good price from RedSnapper. Personally i use a Horizon 8115 tripod for my 20x90 bins. Its well able for them

I also have the celestron 15 x 70 binoculars, I bought dynex DX-TRP60 from best buy for $35. So far it has been great, its light, sets up fast, and have had no problems with the tripod. Of course its only about 6 months old, but so far so good.

I have one of these and found it a bit lightweight for my 10 x 70 celestron. A big difference can be made with a good solid mounting bracket , I initially used the plastic one that arrived with the bins but it was too flexible. Now tend to use a monopod with a solid metal mounting bracket. Sit back in a company chair and rest the monopod against the chair for added stability. Works a treat.

I never thought of that, great idea asset189, chill out on a chair with the bins, a few pops, and enjoy the night sky. I think I might try to quickly rig something up for tonight! Thanks for the idea!!

I've got a light camera tripod for Dubstep (my 15x70 binos) he's a bit wobbly on it if it's windy, but not too bad. Like Asset said, if you get a better bracket it makes a difference! or even some gaffer tape to reinforce it a bit!

the biggest problem i have is the old neck ache problem, when you want to look a bit higher in the sky - but if you are creative on how you adjust the legs on the tripod it helps a lot - I often have found that if you make one of the legs shorter than the other 2 you can get the tripod at a better angle, esp if you are chilling out in a comfy seat or even on the floor. I've also used the whole tripod almost like a monopod with all the legs folded in when I've wanted to look at something quickly. I'm sure a monopod would be better, but it's worth improvising with what you've got first to work out what you might need!

Also if you're out with your car and happen to have a hatchback, I've worked out that if I sit in the boot and lean the tripod against the boot, you get a bit more stability and it acts like a wind break too! although that does depend on you're car being pointed in the right direction for where you wanted to look! :grin:

I've found that the Manfrotto 035BN Binocular Super Clamp (see on-line for suppliers) was the way for me to re-use my bird-watching binoculars with my camera tripod for astronomy use. It's solid and can apparently cope with bins, heavier than my 10x32mm.

Archived