SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How can I measure seeing quality?

emadmoussa

Long time of astronomy, but I really never bothered looking into this subject thoroughly. I simply decide the seeing conditions based on what and I can and can't see in the night sky.

Is there some kind of calculator or specialized forecast to determine this factor before hand?

About as useful as relying on the weather forecast ... :p

As the quality can change by the minute , especially this time of year , I'd rely on the eyeball to tell you what it's like . . . :grin:

Just log-off and get out there , precious few nights to spend half of it worrying about these things if you're in a LP'd urban setting , if you move to a seriously dark location away from the usual UK problems then it maybe of more significance.

If you wait for the nights that are set clear , moonless , perfect transparency and excellent seeing you will spend all your time on here and not outside "doing it" . . . :rolleyes:

As the quality can change by the minute , especially this time of year , I'd rely on the eyeball to tell you what it's like . . . :grin:

Just log-off and get out there , precious few nights to spend half of it worrying about these things if you're in a LP'd urban setting , if you move to a seriously dark location away from the usual UK problems then it maybe of more significance.

If you wait for the nights that are set clear , moonless , perfect transparency and excellent seeing you will spend all your time on here and not outside "doing it" . . . :rolleyes:

lol I tend to agree, I only use it in advance to get an idea of what it might be like the next day, more for cloud cover than seeing.

once I've decided to go out I do like to use sat24 though because it shows you the likely cloud movements over the next hour or so. :grin:

Hi Richard ,

Sat24 is most peoples saviour I think , or should be .... :p

We all KNOW there's cloud coming from somewhere , sometime soon , it's great to be able to see it approaching in pretty much real time . . . :laugh:

I'd have missed many a Solar disc shot without being able to see exactly where the gaps were and when they'd arrive ... :rolleyes:

Most of our bad weather comes from the west. Worth while keeping an eye on the west.

Avoid buying anything large in a box , this summons clouds when you need

clear skies,

Nick.

Ironically I received a little something a couple days ago and it's been almost clear. Knock wood!

Can I at least wait until it's dark :D :D

Thanks Richard. this is exactly what I had in mind -- downloaded and ready to go out tonight. :)

Yes meant to be clear here too so I'd like to go out tonight but I'm already going out tonight..... If you know what I mean :grin: so don't think I'll trust myself with my scope when I get back.

Yes meant to be clear here too so I'd like to go out tonight but I'm already going out tonight..... If you know what I mean :grin: so don't think I'll trust myself with my scope when I get back.

I think I'm going out light - EQ3 and 80ED. Last night I was almost caught in thundery rain.

Here's the latest aviation METAR weather report for your area...

Latest METAR information for EGHI - SOUTHAMPTON

EGHI 031850Z 19009KT 150V220 9999 FEW037 19/12 Q1018
In plain english is....

This is a METAR report for
EGHI - SOUTHAMPTON

The report was made
minutes ago, at
18:50
UTC.

The wind was blowing at a speed of
knots (
miles per hour,
metres per second) from the
South
(
°).

The visibility was
greater than 6.2
miles (
greater than 10
kilometres).

There were
a few clouds
at a height of
feet (
metres).

The temperature was
°C (
°F), a dew point of
°C (
°F) and a relative humidity of 63.8%.

The altimeter setting (airfield QNH) was
hPa (
inHg).

A reference to seeing quality...

Pickering Scale

The Pick­er­ing Scale was cre­ated as a way to describe atmos­pheric dif­frac­tion by William Henry Pick­er­ing (see Wikipedia arti­cle). The scale was cre­ated using a 5inch refrac­tor as a ref­er­ence telescope.

While this scale is not uti­lized these days it still pro­vides a way to demon­strate the effects of the atmos­phere on see­ing con­di­tions in a tan­gi­ble way for peo­ple get­ting started in astron­omy. The scale is shown with a com­puter gen­er­ated approx­i­ma­tion of how the atmos­phere affects dif­frac­tion and over­all see­ing conditions.

Search: Sim­u­la­tion Image Descrip­tion pickering_01.gif Scale 1 — Very poor pickering_02.gif Scale 2 — Very poor pickering_03.gif Scale 3 — Very poor to poor pickering_04.gif Scale 4 — Poor pickering_05.gif Scale 5 — Fair pickering_06.gif Scale 6 — Fair to Good pickering_07.gif Scale 7 — Good pickering_08.gif Scale 8 — Good to Excellent pickering_09.gif Scale 9 — Excellent pickering_10.gif Scale 10 — Excel­lent / Perfect

Showing 1 to 10 of 10 entries

Breadcrumb Trail -> Home » Astronomy » ERAO Tools » Pickering Scale

E.R.A.O

A reference to seeing quality...

Pickering Scale

The Pick­er­ing Scale was cre­ated as a way to describe atmos­pheric dif­frac­tion by William Henry Pick­er­ing (see Wikipedia arti­cle). The scale was cre­ated using a 5inch refrac­tor as a ref­er­ence telescope.

While this scale is not uti­lized these days it still pro­vides a way to demon­strate the effects of the atmos­phere on see­ing con­di­tions in a tan­gi­ble way for peo­ple get­ting started in astron­omy. The scale is shown with a com­puter gen­er­ated approx­i­ma­tion of how the atmos­phere affects dif­frac­tion and over­all see­ing conditions.

Search: Sim­u­la­tion Image Descrip­tion pickering_01.gif Scale 1 — Very poor pickering_02.gif Scale 2 — Very poor pickering_03.gif Scale 3 — Very poor to poor pickering_04.gif Scale 4 — Poor pickering_05.gif Scale 5 — Fair pickering_06.gif Scale 6 — Fair to Good pickering_07.gif Scale 7 — Good pickering_08.gif Scale 8 — Good to Excellent pickering_09.gif Scale 9 — Excellent pickering_10.gif Scale 10 — Excel­lent / Perfect

Showing 1 to 10 of 10 entries

Breadcrumb Trail -> Home » Astronomy » ERAO Tools » Pickering Scale

E.R.A.O

This has just visually shown me what was happening last night,with about 3 on the listed Pickering scale & this coincided with transparent skies,which may be unusual.

Archived