NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why no proper finderscopes?

Paranoidsam

I've been browsing through some telescopes, mainly 130mm reflectors...

Why is it, I can't find a small scope, of under 200mm aperture, with a real finderscope anymore? They all seem to have these red-dot things which I cannot find anything with. I know it'd cost a bit more to have one, but I'd certainly fork out a few extra quids for a proper scope.

I just can't seem to find anything with an rdf... the red dot blocks out what you're looking for!

There are lots of finders have you tried talking to the retailer that you want to get the scope from they may change it for you :smiley:

You can also dim the red dot so it does not interfere with what you are aiming it at :smiley:

There are lots of finders have you tried talking to the retailer that you want to get the scope from they may change it for you :smiley:

You can also dim the red dot so it does not interfere with what you are aiming it at :smiley:

My red-dot can't be dimmed... and it's part of the tube assembly rather than a removable item.

But if I buy a new scope I'll definitely speak to the retailer about different finder scopes... I didn't know you could do that.

I think they do that based on aperture size - that is - big aperture are usually supplied with 8x40 or 9x50 finder scopes. Or based on the general price of the scope - a 150P comes with a smaller finder scope than the 80ED.

OK, for me personally, I use a combination of a finder scope and a telrad. One to magnify wide area of the sky and one to point without any magnification - what you see is what you get so to speak.

Yeah, but you've got to buy that separately... I mean starter/intermediate scopes. None seem to have a real finderscope...

That's because starter scopes are built to a budget. Pop a Stellarvue on and bang goes the budget.

Its the same with everything. My other hobby (cycling) is the same. £1500 gets you a good frame and chainset / brakes etc. but the saddles are bottom range as and the wheels are 'budget'.

Manufacturers know there are certain things that are upgrades. I'm afraid finderscopes are one of those items.

personally I'd use the red dot to get roughly in line and if you fit an additional finder shoe you can then fit a right angle finder to tune in to the target; many like the dumbbell can be seen in a 9x50 finder. as above whether supplied or not depends on budget. you'd normally keep telrad, optical finder, eyepieces etc for your next scope if you ever sold the old one to upgrade.

It sounds like you have the small celestron (I believe its called the astromaster)with the god awful finder to me. Yep! That thing is an utter nightmare.

I truly sympathise with anyone that buys this scope. The finder simply doesn't work at all. Unfortunately I think you'll just have to bite the bullet and buy one.

Archived