Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which dob to buy

Steve I have them well trained, just supply plenty of tea and biscuits and they will do anything.

It may also be worth getting a scope cover, such as the one made available through Green Witch. The tea and biscuits can then work their charm the following day.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, I heared that the base of the skywatcher might not fit through some doorways but the Orion xx16 can be dismantled and stored. I won't make-up my mind till I get a look at both scopes.

Iain thanks for the suggestion of the scope cover, if tea and biscuits don't work I make a mean chocolate butter cream cake, my minions are chocolateholics.

Pauline

Doh is it the sky at night?

ignore this comment. my advise is i have a cpc 9.25 and think its brilliant and i have owned it over 2 years. are your skys dark is this why you want a bigger scope. i have never looked through a big dob but im sure they are amazing will find out soon :wink:. but if you can move the cpc around you will have no problem with any dob

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the eyepiece height, one of our observing group has the 16" flextube and requires a step* for him to view objects near the zenith.

*or a wheelie bin on its side when he forgot to bring the step to an observing session one night, but that's another story :evil:

Hi Faulky, I have my cpc 925 for about 3 years, before that I had a 4'' refractor, so that was a big jump. Don't get me wrong I love my cpc and im keeping it but i'm getting greedy I want to see more. The sky is not very dark were I am but I can visit dark sites just outside Dublin.

Lorne, I know I need a step ladder,as some in my club are height challenged , I'm 5ft 7'' myself and would still need a boost.Ha Ha.

Pauline.

Hi Faulky, I have my cpc 925 for about 3 years, before that I had a 4'' refractor, so that was a big jump. Don't get me wrong I love my cpc and im keeping it but i'm getting greedy I want to see more. The sky is not very dark were I am but I can visit dark sites just outside Dublin.

Lorne, I know I need a step ladder,as some in my club are height challenged , I'm 5ft 7'' myself and would still need a boost.Ha Ha.

Pauline.

if your getting greedy as you say :grin: then the 16" is the way to go, good luck with your choice and let us no what you decide

I got a good advice from one SGL member when I was choosing between Orion and Skywatcher - think about the customer support, Orion is USA company and I think you might find hard to get their help if you have any problems, while with Skywatcher - no problem. Just something to think about :wink:

Probably I could manage to move it if separated from the mount, but it's heavy... :undecided: I get hubby to help me usually. I'm looking into getting some sort of cart or trolley for the DOB.

Probably I could manage to move it if separated from the mount, but it's heavy... :undecided: I get hubby to help me usually. I'm looking into getting some sort of cart or trolley for the DOB.

I'm with you on the "its heavy" I have to store my 12" Dob built up in my garage which meant it had to be split to move it out into the garden then rebuilt, not a major hassle but I'm one for an easy life. I made a triangular shaped trolley for mine, with holes for the Dob feet to fit into, it has rubber caster wheels for easy movement and threaded rods to adjust for leveling the base. Its in the garden and leveled in no time at all - my poor old back is happy again :)

Please don't fret over moving big Dobs. A 10" or 12" can be moved on a sack truck and a 16" can be moved on wheelbarrow handles (and wheels:))

Mine is a 10"

If you need to go out through a door with steps just place a shortened plank or similar piece of wood to allow it take the steps in smaller steps. The big wheels will gobble up the changes in level :) Get pneumatic wheels to soften the bumps

No probs:)

post-11876-137587891365_thumb.jpg

Barry

I remember seeing this video, a 16 inch is biiig. Even this chap is quite tall and he needs steps to get to the eyepiece, the vid really gives a good idea what that size means when you are using such an instrument.

I'm with you on the "its heavy" I have to store my 12" Dob built up in my garage which meant it had to be split to move it out into the garden then rebuilt, not a major hassle but I'm one for an easy life. I made a triangular shaped trolley for mine, with holes for the Dob feet to fit into, it has rubber caster wheels for easy movement and threaded rods to adjust for leveling the base. Its in the garden and leveled in no time at all - my poor old back is happy again :)

I'm in the same boat. :icon_salut: My Dob is in the garage as well and I need help getting it in one piece out in the garden. My back is not that old yet, but I do like an easy life concept :smiley:

Archived