Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Blinking satellite?

Superdavo

Hi everyone! I was out observing last night (without my scope), and I saw two satellites. The first one, when it reached Cassiopeia, faded out, but then it reappeared briefly, before disappearing once more. Does anyone know why that would happen?

Also, I saw my first ever confirmed iridium flare, at mag -5.

David

While dropping out of the sun's rays it may have briefly passed behind a small streak of cloud? These can be hard to see but any imager will tell you the blighters exist!

Olly

I was thinking that too. Also, does this effect happen very often?

David

I was thinking that too. Also, does this effect happen very often?

David

There are many thousands of Sats passing overhead, i see many just looking through a EP at a DSO as they pass bye, as for the blinking effect just depends if your looking in the right place at the right time....

• 4 weeks later...

Most likely the Sats solar panels catching the Sun and the angle aligned with you........

I think this is most likely. Before I got my scope I did a lot of sky watching unaided and the amount of satellites I saw was unbelievable. There were lots which disappeared then reappeared and when I did some research I found that they are only visible when they reflect the sunlight so if they turn enough to shine the light elsewhere then move again they appear to disappear/reappear.

yeh you just have to look up for a couple of mins and you will see loads of sats .flares are ace whats the app called barry?

One is iridium flare, oddly, but it has a bug and is faulty now. The other is called Sputnik

Barry

Someone once wrote on here there are rotating cylinder shaped sats that blink...... Saw a blinking satellite tonight was odd sight very rare I've seen one.... Saw the odd repeated flash.

Saw lots of flares and 2 meteors, only was out in garden without scope for 15m

Archived