SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Push to mounts

I am thinking of getting a APM 100/800 scope with the aim of making a push-to grab and go scope with Sky Commander or similar.

i was going to go for a Discmount from Tom Peters in the USA but the cost with the customs fees makes it prohibitive.

Can anyone suggest a suitable mount and encoder push-to system for an approx 7kg scope?

Simon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had not set a limit in my mind but it was going to cost £2200 including custom fees and VAT to get the Discmount here. I decided ( but not just on cost issues) that was too much.

I've decided on the scope, I just need a mount.

This forum is excellent for advice.

Simon

that doesn't sound so unreasonable its about the going rate for mount plus encoders and dsc. have you looked at the giro

http://www.teleskop-...g-bis-10kg.html

http://www.teleskop-...Teilkreise.html

http://www.teleskop-...Montierung.html

http://www.teleskop-...ntierungen.html

http://www.teleskop-...---schwarz.html

and of course you will need a tripod

Thanks for your help Rowan but would have no idea how to put it all together.

Is there no one who supplies compete sets inc tripod as a push to system?

it seems to me it may be better to go for something like the iOptron pro that includes goto and GPS for £1150.

Simon

there are complete units but they are going into the realms of disc mount money. I forgot to mention televue skytour its not the best but its easy to fit to the gibralter mount and they have a pretty good resale value

I use my dob as a push to using Astro devices nexus. Bought the nexus and encoders and fittings from UK equatorial platforms. You can add it to most non goto scopes. If you're any good at DIY you can save some money by making the fixings yourself, I'm not unfortunately. If you need any more info about it let me know.

Yes, a Half/Hitch Mark II, the mount is Rolls Royce quality.

On the "Cloudy Nights" site under the reviews section, click on mounts and read "(Half) Hitching To Nirvana".

Here's a photo with our 5" Intes-Micro scope . . . . . .

Edit: photo.

Click to enlarge.

post-21902-0-98659300-1374701039_thumb.j

Yes, a Half/Hitch Mark II, the mount is Rolls Royce quality.

On the "Cloudy Nights" site under the reviews section, click on mounts and read "(Half) Hitching To Nirvana".

Here's a photo with our 5" Intes-Micro scope . . . . . .

Edit: photo.

Click to enlarge.

I have often lusted over those myself but the prices are similar to the disc mount which was too rich for me but I must admit both that and the disc mount look to be beautifully engineered

I have often lusted over those myself but the prices are similar to the disc mount which was too rich for me but I must admit both that and the disc mount look to be beautifully engineered

The "Nova Hitch" can handle larger scopes, and although I'd love to have one, to me the Half/Hitch is more of a grab & go. Our scope, mount, and tripod as shown weighs under 25 lbs.

It's a shame that both of them are on the other side of the pond. Possibly because dark skies are more accessible due to the nsize of the country. The Half Hitch website is fairly basic though and not easy to navigate. it doesn't show how the mount attaches to the tripod for example.

Simon

Another option are one of the alt/az mounts from AOK in Switzerland. Looks like all the AYO range now has the option for purchasing with encoders built in.

http://www.aokswiss.ch/index_mont.html

http://www.aokswiss.ch/d/preise.html

Chuck the above through an online translator

I had one of the early, Swiss made, William Optics EZ-Touch mounts. Quite exceptional smooth mount, even with my heavy Klevtsov riding on it.

Andy.

. . . . . . . The Half Hitch website is fairly basic though and not easy to navigate. it doesn't show how the mount attaches to the tripod for example.

Simon

The mount has a 3/8" threaded stainless steel attachment point on the base plate; there are also three nylon screws used to make contact with the tripod base.

Click on photos to enlarge.

post-21902-0-95374400-1374777589_thumb.j

post-21902-0-43526200-1374777606_thumb.j

Thanks guys for the info. I was trying to work out the customs duty + VAT on items from Switzerland but had no luck so far. The price does seem to be more reasonable than from the US excluding these charges. I think the charges would be the same possibly from which ever country it was imported from. The AYO ones look a simple design thought through. The half hitch looks awesome as well but even more expensive than the Discmount.

Simon

The Discmount DM 6 is a joy to use and you don't have to worry about changing eyepieces, even binoviewers. I was lucky to find one on abs.

But I sold it in the end as I found it to heavy to drag out for each session.

As Andy pointed out, the Ayos look interesting. I would like to try the Auodigi myself.

But as I already own an older non dsc Ayo (the WO ezy touch equivalent) it would mean an upgrade of 1600£ just to get the DSC.

I found in the end a Gibraltar with computer on abs and will see if its good enough for my TV 102. Don't like the tripod but I should be able to use the Gibraltar on my far sturdier Berlebach Uni 28.

Are setting circles more appropriate for Dobs than refractors? How do you use them?

i translated the Swiss website but couldn't quite work out exactly what I needed or any accessories I might need,

If I go for the Ayo digi, do I need Argo Navis and can I buy a mount in the UK to go with it?

Can anyone recommend a lightweiught stable mount for an approx 7 kg scope?

Many thanks to all who replied.

Simon

Are setting circles more appropriate for Dobs than refractors? How do you use them?

i translated the Swiss website but couldn't quite work out exactly what I needed or any accessories I might need,

If I go for the Ayo digi, do I need Argo Navis and can I buy a mount in the UK to go with it?

Can anyone recommend a lightweiught stable mount for an approx 7 kg scope?

Many thanks to all who replied.

Simon

hi Simon,

the term setting circles on Astro devices website is a bit misleading. I just do a 2 star alignment on the iPad which is wirelessly connected to the Nexus, and then push the scope to the target watching the curser move on the star chart on the iPad. Very easy and very accurate. Whether you're using a dob or refractor or anything else is irrelevant. It's just a means of accurately finding and pointing the scope at the target.

In my honest opinion, an 'AYO II' would be able to handle a 4" F8, 7kg scope with ease. This MKII sounds/reads like an improvement mechanically, on the original MKI version which I had.

Looking at the price list.........

AYO II including encoder parts = 800 Swiss Francs(CHF)

[800 - 8% swiss vat = 740/1.4 = ~£530 + shipping/VAT/Duty. I usually guesstimate the added extras by adding on 30%, so £530 + 30% = £689]

Add to the above the cost of a Sky Commander computer(US$295?)

or

AYO II including encoder parts AND Argo Navis computer = 1400 Swiss Francs(CHF)

[1400 - 8% swiss vat = 1297/1.4 = ~£927 + shipping/VAT/Duty. I usually guesstimate the added extras by adding on 30%, so £927+ 30% = £1205]

The heavier duty AYO Digi II, is CHF1170 for the encoder enabled mount and CHF1750 for the encoder enabled mount AND Argo Navis computer.

As for what to put the head on, it's prob best to let others advise, as I tend to use what I have to hand. I used my mount on my Tal wooden tripod and also sometimes my Tal Pillar/pedestal(I extended the height by about 700mm). The former was good n stable, but the latter was rock solid.

I'd guess a good HD Surveyor type tripod would do the job or one of the Berlebach wooden offerings?

Andy.

Archived