SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Push to mounts

In my honest opinion, an 'AYO II' would be able to handle a 4" F8, 7kg scope with ease. This MKII sounds/reads like an improvement mechanically, on the original MKI version which I had.

Looking at the price list.........

AYO II including encoder parts = 800 Swiss Francs(CHF)

[800 - 8% swiss vat = 740/1.4 = ~£530 + shipping/VAT/Duty. I usually guesstimate the added extras by adding on 30%, so £530 + 30% = £689]

Add to the above the cost of a Sky Commander computer(US$295?)

or

AYO II including encoder parts AND Argo Navis computer = 1400 Swiss Francs(CHF)

[1400 - 8% swiss vat = 1297/1.4 = ~£927 + shipping/VAT/Duty. I usually guesstimate the added extras by adding on 30%, so £927+ 30% = £1205]

The heavier duty AYO Digi II, is CHF1170 for the encoder enabled mount and CHF1750 for the encoder enabled mount AND Argo Navis computer.

As for what to put the head on, it's prob best to let others advise, as I tend to use what I have to hand. I used my mount on my Tal wooden tripod and also sometimes my Tal Pillar/pedestal(I extended the height by about 700mm). The former was good n stable, but the latter was rock solid.

I'd guess a good HD Surveyor type tripod would do the job or one of the Berlebach wooden offerings?

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I'm sure your suggestion of mounts are very good, I was just suggesting an alternative from the "Push To" element. :laugh:

I would think its just as easy to use the mounts you've suggested with Astro Devices Nexus instead of Sky Commander or Argo Navis. I looked at both before going for the NEXUS and the nexus was cheaper and in my view better. Using an IPAD or Phone as the handset is much more user friendly, it connects wirelessly, no need to type in coordinates, you can visually view and find targets etc. and you can use it with a variety of mounts. So my suggestion is find the most appropriate mount, and then choose the most appropriate Push To system. If your suggested mounts are available with just the encoders included, there'd only be a need to buy the Nexus unit and the cables. (and a phone or IPAD if necessary). I would certainly look at that as an option.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Richard,

Please can you explain in simple terms how the Nexus works and how it would be connected to a scope?

Thanks

Simon

one encoder is attached to the azimuth, and one to the altude. a lead goes from the encoders to the little Nexus Unit. I've attached my unit to the mount with velcro so I can remove it easily if I want to, but you could rest it anywhere, its very light, less than a mobile phone I'd guess. Its about 4"x3" and 1.5" deep.

Then I turn the Nexus on. Everything else I do with the IPAD. First connect wirelessly, the Nexus will appear in the the list of wireless devices, so select it. Then open Sky Safari, and connect the scope, very easy, just press connect. A scope curser on the screen will become live. I then point the scope at Polaris, press align, point the scope at another star, say Altair, press align again. The curser on the sky chart is now showing you where your scope is pointing. As you move the scope by hand the curser moves around the Sky chart. Just move your scope to your target as required. The mount doesn't need to be level or pointing in any particular direction.

If you have a look on Equatorial Platforms UK website http://www.equatorial-platforms-uk.co.uk/idol/idol-videos

they'll be some more guidance, it's really very good. One thing for travelling you need to consider is the power supply. I use a small 12v lead Battery, which I wouldn't take on a plane. But the nexus also works with small, I think AA batteries, but these don't last long I'm told. So for travelling on a plane I'd take a good stock of them. Anything else please ask.

I use setting circles on my alt az mount. Not nearly as accurate as digital circles but it gets me close enough to start searching. And now means I can usually find my target. My solution cost me about £150 that was for the nexus 7, sky safari software and feisol panning base everything else i had lying around the place.

post-4536-0-13910300-1374833807_thumb.jppost-4536-0-22773600-1374833891_thumb.jp

The mount is the technosky elle and is rated for 8kg

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1795_Tecnosky-eLLe-Binomount---Montierung-fuer-Gro-fernglaeser-bis-100mm.html

you would probably need the larger panning base

http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-panning-base-pb90-p-34.html?osCsid=prj50rcbn1i0r51157c1e58380 This makes setting the azimuth anulus much easier.

For the altitude I used this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Angle-Gauge-Protractor-Inclinometer-Spirit-Level-Digital-Readout-/251105314656?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item3a770b0760

There is a model accurate to 0.05 but it costs a bit more and the whole thing stuck on a good photo tripod. I reckon the whole thing including mount and tripod cost about £600 but you will lose about 5 degrees of elevation if you put a circle on this mount as the the scope hits the azimuth anulus as you go for zenith

Again the Nexus refers to Dobs and Goto scopes. I will have a refractor. How would you attach the encoder to a refracting telescope mount?

Simon

Don't know, but I'd guess its the same way the mount producers do for Argo Navis or Sky Commander. Have a chat with EQ Platforms, I'm sure they can advise, I'll pm their number to you.

Again the Nexus refers to Dobs and Goto scopes. I will have a refractor. How would you attach the encoder to a refracting telescope mount?

Simon

Simon, Nexus provides a wireless interface to the encoders when used with SkySafari Plus/Pro running on iPad/iPhone/iPod touch/Android/Mac. It does not matter what type of the telescope you have - you just specify whether it is an Equatorial mount or Alt-Azimuth mount. You align it on two stars/objects and SkySafari will be calculating telescope coordinates after that and showing you where the telescope is pointing on the screen by displaying a cursor over a star chart along with the digital representation of the telescope coordinates. You just need to move the telescope until the cursor is over the object you would like to see and the object will be in the eyepiece then.

With the mounts discussed (DM-6, AYO, Halfhitch) which all are Alt-Azimuth mounts, two encoders are installed - one on the Azimuth axis and the second one on the Altitude axis.

Best Regards,

Serge.

Ah OK.

If read you correctly you need to buy a mount with the encoders installed in order to use Nexus?

Simon

Simon, yes you need to buy the mount with encoders installed - the easiest option. Nexus is using the same connector for encoders as SkyCommander and Argo Navis.

Best Regards,

Serge.

Thanks for your time Serge.

Apart from those already discussed, DM6, AYO, Halfhitch, are there any other different options for alt az mounts with pre installed encoders?

Simon

No problems.

The only other mount I am aware of that has encoders pre-installed is T-Rex: http://www.kkohki.com/English/T-REXmount.html

Best Regards,

Serge.

Archived