Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6" Astro Systems F/6 Newtonian

Upon browsing eBay for some bargain scopes, I noticed this - a 6" Astro Systems F/6 Newtonian, with optics made by David Hinds. Immediately I was interested, especially at the price (£60!) so I put it on a watch list. As it so happens, no-one bid on it (until I did last minute) so I got it for £60 - including the original stand - and the best part is that it was in Leeds so I could pick it up locally :D.

So today, I just picked it up - wasn't too far (~7 miles on public transport), and the mirrors are in excellent condition. I'm very pleased, the mirrors are clean and the stand is remarkably stable - the whole thing isn't that heavy either which is always nice!

One thing though - it appears it doesn't take 1.25" eyepieces in a normal way - with it I got a threaded adaptor which allows me to use a ~0.965" eyepiece, but it doesn't allow me to use 1.25" eyepieces. The focuser tube is about 3.5cm wide - does anyone know of a threaded 1.25" adaptor that I could screw in?

Anyway, some pictures of the scope :)

post-22804-0-68628900-1373898216_thumb.j

post-22804-0-48185800-1373898268_thumb.j

post-22804-0-28734700-1373898329_thumb.j

I used to own one of those - my 1st "proper" telescope in fact :smiley:

It's a Vixen focuser so you need Vixen compatible adapters for it. Opticron are the UK Vixen dealers - Pete Gamby there might be able to help pin down the right adapter:

http://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/

It should have mirrors by David Hinds which are very good quality.

Just come back from trying it on the Moon just now - oh wow! Lovely bright, contrasty and detailed view - even from the supplied Vixen K 20mm (Kellner I believe).

I quickly compared it to my Heritage 130P with my 15mm TV plossl - almost an exact magnification match (45x vs 44.3x), what I found surprised me. The image in the 6" was brighter, more detailed, and I much preferred it - I could see so many more craters (albeit some of the small ones twinkled with chromatic aberration) with the 6" than the 130P. I'm convinced this couldn't have been the eyepiece - it has to be the scope. If it's the eyepiece, it's surprising that a Kellner at F/6 can beat a TV plossl at F/5, albeit a well made Kellner.

Just goes to show that aperture is king - a very good visual representation for me.

Can't wait until my adapter arrives and I can use 1.25" eyepieces, this focuser is a dream compared to the Heritage focuser.

Archived