NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iris Nebula Under Less Than Ideal Conditions

StuartJPP

It was predicted to be clear, not that I taken them too seriously, but on the night I could barely see Megrez at magnitude 3.3 (Big Dipper) due to very thin cloud. But I still carried on regardless, otherwise at this rate every time I use my kit it would be like learning it all over again.

I was testing out a new head configuration which allows me to actually point my camera up to image this object as previously I couldn't get anywhere near zenith.

Canon 7D With Canon 500mm f/4 L IS @ f/4

AstroTrac TT320X Mount.

50x 60 second subs @ ISO 1600.

A fair bit noisy and not ideal. Will revisit this when conditions are a bit better.

Very nice picture Stuart! I would be happy with this one!

Thanks Mr. Bergman!

That's a nice shot you have captured some of the dark stuff as well,good work

Cheers Andy, this was taken in you neck of the woods...just outside Horncastle.

Nice image :) Some of the vertical streaks I can see are my monitor - it's not the best quality but it works :D

Nah, I think I stretched the data just a bit too much and the noise crept in. I was really trying to get some of the dark stuff which is slightly visible though the vertical stripes :grin:

Archived