Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need advice for a red dot finder scope for a Celestron Nextstar SE6

I bought a nextstar SE6 just over a year ago from ebay. It came without a finderscope, so the couple of times it was taken out, I never actually managed to get it set up correctly.

So I know I need to buy one!

Looking on ebay, there are numerous on there for sale, but after speaking to a seller, I now know I need to be a bit careful with the hole spacing. On mine, the spacing seems to be approx 28mm, but the few that mention it all seem to be much closer together so of no use.

I dont want to spend too much on this, but obviusly need to be sure of buying the right fitting.

Anyone able to shed any light? I would have thought this would have been fairly universal!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could look for an original 6SE red dot finder, they are OK in my opinion (if a little flaky sometimes) and work well enough for alignment. Some people don't like them so replace them straight away with something else. You could ask advice from FLO, just email them.

Ask them if this one will fit the 6SE: Baader 30mm Sky Surfer III

If it's faint fuzzies you want to chase then you will want a proper finder scope, I haven't tried one but the Baader Super Sky Surfer V looks the business and may be more suitable for the smaller 6SE than the 9x50 Celestron finder scope.

I guess you could buy any you like and drill the base of the red dot finder to have two holes to matched up to the two on the 6SE ?

Hmmm. I don't think it's a good idea to start drilling holes and I'm not really sure how a hole will allow a precision screw to be tightened?

Go for a Telrad.........

Thanks for that. Any details of model? (assuming there are different ones?) Do they come with thread holes that are 28mm apart or is there a bracket of some ort that's required?

Ok, thanks again for that..... Not really sure I like the sound of using stiky pads. When not used, the telescope is neatly packed away in its original box.

Im also a bit confused how this works for adjustments? Obviously the whole point is to ensure what's seen through the scope is centralised based on the finder. So how do you adjust? Or is everything to do that all on the red dot device?

Do not use sticky pads, eventually they fall off, plus they have too much flex.

Many of the RDF bases do not fit the curvature of the Celestron OTA and Celestron in their wisdom did not fit a 'universal' mount such as those found on Skywatcher, Orion etc.

Best to perisist and get a Celestron one.

Do not use sticky pads, eventually they fall off, plus they have too much flex.

Many of the RDF bases do not fit the curvature of the Celestron OTA and Celestron in their wisdom did not fit a 'universal' mount such as those found on Skywatcher, Orion etc.

Best to perisist and get a Celestron one.

It seems ridiculous that something that is essential and I would have thought easy to accomplish appears to be so complicated and difficult! How difficult can it be to have a bracket specific to the holes on the scope to attach to a universal device fitting? Crazy!

It seems ridiculous that something that is essential and I would have thought easy to accomplish appears to be so complicated and difficult! How difficult can it be to have a bracket specific to the holes on the scope to attach to a universal device fitting? Crazy!

My sticky pads the ones supplied on the base are very secure and won't move when pushed, i have 2 bases one either side of the focus tube so the Telrad is moved from one to the other when the scope is spun to keep the focusor in a veiw able position, both bases are aligned so when the Telrad is moved it is still aligned, when you store you scope the Telrad is removed from the base by means of 2 locking screws theses make replacing the Telrad when the scope is next used as perfectly aligned, aligning the Telrad is by means of 3 adjusters on the end you look through once adjusted that's it just remove and replace for storage, another good reason there are free Telrad Map downloadable just search for "Telrad Maps" and its is also supported in Stellarium another free must have bit of software.....

How annoying for them to have the weekend off eh?

My mistake. i thought they were a big company. My apologies.

My sticky pads the ones supplied on the base are very secure and won't move when pushed, i have 2 bases one either side of the focus tube so the Telrad is moved from one to the other when the scope is spun to keep the focusor in a veiw able position, both bases are aligned so when the Telrad is moved it is still aligned, when you store you scope the Telrad is removed from the base by means of 2 locking screws theses make replacing the Telrad when the scope is next used as perfectly aligned, aligning the Telrad is by means of 3 adjusters on the end you look through once adjusted that's it just remove and replace for storage, another good reason there are free Telrad Map downloadable just search for "Telrad Maps" and its is also supported in Stellarium another free must have bit of software.....

Dont suppose you could upload a photo? Its a bit difficult to viualise.

Had these in the Astro Folder........

The velcro pads on the side are for a home made dew shield,,,,,

DSC_9576.jpg

The 2 screws on the base do the attaching, easy to attach or remove the Telrad

DSC_9571.jpg

The 3 adjuster screws only need adjusting once, the unit goes back in the same place every time....have been running this unit on the same 2 x AA Duracels for many years....:)

DSC_9574.jpg

Thanks again for that Tinker.... Appreciated. I did get a reply back from FLO today, but they suggested buying a bracket which was £25 and then of course the cost of he finder on top, so works out to be an expensive.

What are all the wires showing on yours? Something to do with the dew cover and to power to it? Is appears to be fixed nearer to the front?

So do you separate it when storing and leave the plate? I ask because I'd want to put back in its box when not in use.

You could consider a Rigel I prefer them over the telrad as they are much smaller

To be fair, I don't really know what any of them are like. How would it fit on my SE6?

The wires are rubber bands used for the dew shield, and yes the Telrad comes off every time i finish viewing, all my listed Messiers were found using the Telrad and the downloadable Telrad maps.....

Would the plate not get knocked or moved when putting back in the box? I'm leaning towards this from what you've said.

Another vote for a Telrad! I've never had any problems with the sticky pads either, and you can make a dew shield from a bit of craft foam (from hobbycraft) for less than a pound including the Velcro.

Im sure my brother has a spare one off a 6se, let me know if you cannot get one and I will check with him :smiley:

Im all ears. I'm swaying towards the telrad at the moment, but if it's nice and cheap......

Archived