Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is that an ant?

So I was out in the garden at the weekend, enjoying the blissful sunshine. I got my 150p out and did some white light solar while the wife sat nearby reading 'What Now Woman Heat' or some other garbage.

I thought she might like to come and look at the thing which was providing her tan so I beckoned her over. I sat her down and told her to look into the eyepiece and turn the focuser until it came into focus which she duly did. She then said "Wow, so thats the sun? What are those little spots on it, they look like ants!" at which point she leant back, looked at me and jabbed her finger right onto the eyepiece glass by way of indicating to me that is was the view in the eyepiece to which she was referring.

Naturally you can imagine the look on my face. I swatted her hand away and said "what on earth are you doing, did you just touch that' at which point she went for the bottom of her top with the clear intention to rub off whatever finger print (think sun cream..) she had left on it.

Naturally another swatting of said hand with shirt edge ensued.

Naturally she had no idea what she had done beforehand and she now understands that anything on a telescope should not be touched unless asked first.

Lesson learnt. thankfully I had the foresight to use the supplied 10mmPlossl (because I also had sun cream on earlier in the day but had washed my hands before using the scope) and not my UWAs otherwise Imight've been digging a hole at the bottom of the garden and putting in a new patio! :)

So I was out in the garden at the weekend, enjoying the blissful sunshine. I got my 150p out and did some white light solar while the wife sat nearby reading 'What Now Woman Heat' or some other garbage.

I thought she might like to come and look at the thing which was providing her tan so I beckoned her over. I sat her down and told her to look into the eyepiece and turn the focuser until it came into focus which she duly did. She then said "Wow, so thats the sun? What are those little spots on it, they look like ants!" at which point she leant back, looked at me and jabbed her finger right onto the eyepiece glass by way of indicating to me that is was the view in the eyepiece to which she was referring.

Naturally you can imagine the look on my face. I swatted her hand away and said "what on earth are you doing, did you just touch that' at which point she went for the bottom of her top with the clear intention to rub off whatever finger print (think sun cream..) she had left on it.

Naturally another swatting of said hand with shirt edge ensued.

Naturally she had no idea what she had done beforehand and she now understands that anything on a telescope should not be touched unless asked first.

Lesson learnt. thankfully I had the foresight to use the supplied 10mmPlossl (because I also had sun cream on earlier in the day but had washed my hands before using the scope) and not my UWAs otherwise Imight've been digging a hole at the bottom of the garden and putting in a new patio! :)

I say to my wife or kids you look with 2 not 10

A fingerprint is one thing on a lens, I know of people who got mascara on their EPs from women sticking their eyelashes too close. EPs with long eye relief can help on star parties to prevent this. Ratcheting up the click stops on my Naglers or screwing up the eye cups of my XWs and XF helps too.

I have trained my wife and kids they should never touch the glass, and never wipe it with a cloth. Seems to work so far

Archived