NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First night with CCD

Even though it was a Sunday night and a early start today I managed to get 90 mins in when it got dark last night. Most things went well! :) Wow, ccd is so sensitive! Not got a picture yet but early days working out the workflow.

I had some issues with the atik server crashing when using EQMod under XP. Also could not get astro tortilla to work with the Atik and APT at all. Just kept coming up with fatal exceptions and "fatal pipe" errors or something like thatHmmm. I am a plate solve junky now do need to get this going. In process of putting Windows 7 on my imaging laptop and rebuilding it completely. When I selected "ascom camera" just woul not solve the Fits files I saved to laptop at all.

Anyone else got AT going with a CCD? Do I need to buy nebulosity? Hope not because wallet cannot take anymore this month

Looking forward to next clear sky - been cloudy all day in Nottingham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have AT working with both 314L+ anf 460EX using Artemis to capture then use the "File open dialog" to select the file and solve. It doesn't always work but when it does it's great. Great way to continue imaging exactly where you left off the previous session - lines up the target within a minute of arc.

I have AT working with both 314L+ anf 460EX using Artemis to capture then use the "File open dialog" to select the file and solve. It doesn't always work but when it does it's great. Great way to continue imaging exactly where you left off the previous session - lines up the target within a minute of arc.

So just to replay that, you save the image from within Artemeis to say desktop and then solve it? What binning for that picture and what exposure Gina?

I just use the Ascom Camera option and let it go do it's own stuff, I think you have to release the camera from artemis first though.

At this stage I have not fired Artemis up yet. Still at the plate solving and setting up stage. Also, I read that you should not cool the sensor, only to release it and let it warm up....

My issues could just be down to my laptop and XP which I am upgrading from. I was using AT to use APT with my DSLR and it worked a treat.

Does nebulosity offer scripting with the FW and cooling?

So much software, so much to go wrong! I keep it simple. Artemis Capture and a handset is bliss because, for all the possible advantages of getting highly computerized, you'll be catching photons while the software junkies are fiddling with their PCs.

The big bugbear with Nebulosity is the lousy screen stretch in which you can see zilch. Give me Artemis any day. I do use both all the time but I only use Neb because Yves' setup is MAC based.

Yes on the sensitivity. Great, isn't it!

Have fun.

Olly

So much software, so much to go wrong! I keep it simple. Artemis Capture and a handset is bliss because, for all the possible advantages of getting highly computerized, you'll be catching photons while the software junkies are fiddling with their PCs.

The big bugbear with Nebulosity is the lousy screen stretch in which you can see zilch. Give me Artemis any day. I do use both all the time but I only use Neb because Yves' setup is MAC based.

Yes on the sensitivity. Great, isn't it!

Have fun.

Olly

Well said Olly. Yes indeed, we can overlook the obvious sometimes. So do you do a two or three star align around your object with the handset, slew to it and your off? I may do this next time, and bought an handset for this very reason. That said, still need a PC for guiding too. I want to get some pictures in the can not fiddle with a blasted PC during precious - in the UK - clear sky time like last night! Typical, cloudy tonight!

Incredibly sensitive. Can't believe how much!

I just do a one star align. (I'm permanently polar aligned with three mounts though.) That is enough to find my target unless I want high precision pointing to relocate a particular part of a mosaic, for instance. In that case I slew to a bright star near the target, centre and re-synch on that that star, then do a short slew to the RA and DEC which I've noted previously (on a nice reliable piece of paper!!)* This is usually close to perfect.

Olly

*Don't mention the wind, though... :grin:

Got AT downloading the indices - been going all day........ Earlier AT was not even trying to solve from pictures I know for a fact work with my previous set up. Just said "No solution in 0.0s". Hmmmm, hence reinstalling. Once have the indices will save them locally so don't have to download again.

Shame Artemis not supported in AT. Will try the ASCOM camera option when I next get a chance to try it under the stars. Before then will try local solves.

Can someone see if the .fits image attached solves please?

Capture5.tif

If it's any use, my install of astrotortilla solved it in 14.4 seconds.

I've attached the AT settings I use. I'll dig out which catalogs I use when I remember how to check :)

post-11568-0-78333400-1373393431_thumb.j

Many thanks Simon! :)

What's the option where AT tells you what DSO its found? There's a way to do it...

Still downloading the indices :rolleyes: . Don't want to disturb it (had issues downloading them in the past) so looks like its a visual night tonight and my Atik will have to wait a while longer :(

If it's any use, my install of astrotortilla solved it in 14.4 seconds.

I've attached the AT settings I use. I'll dig out which catalogs I use when I remember how to check :)

.. btw you check which index solved it from the log :)

A bit quicker this time;

2013-07-09 23:09:25,798 - astrotortilla - INFO - Connecting to camera...

2013-07-09 23:09:25,799 - astrotortilla - INFO - Exposing: 5.00 seconds

2013-07-09 23:09:28,645 - astrotortilla - INFO - Reading image from camera

2013-07-09 23:09:28,647 - astrotortilla - INFO - Solving...

2013-07-09 23:09:29,457 - astrotortilla - INFO - Reading input file 1 of 1: "/cygdrive/c/Users/Simon/Downloads/Capture5.tif"...

2013-07-09 23:09:29,859 - astrotortilla - INFO - tifftopnm: writing PGM file

2013-07-09 23:09:29,964 - astrotortilla - INFO - tifftopnm: actual resolution has been reduced to 24 bits per pixel in the conversion. You can get the full 16 bits that are in the TIFF with the -byrow option.

2013-07-09 23:09:30,469 - astrotortilla - INFO - Read file /tmp/tmp.ppm.DcROkb: 1374 x 1099 pixels x 1 color(s); maxval 65535

2013-07-09 23:09:30,569 - astrotortilla - INFO - Using 16-bit output

2013-07-09 23:09:31,082 - astrotortilla - INFO - Extracting sources...

2013-07-09 23:09:31,184 - astrotortilla - INFO - Downsampling by 2...

2013-07-09 23:09:31,286 - astrotortilla - INFO - simplexy: found 146 sources.

2013-07-09 23:09:32,589 - astrotortilla - INFO - Solving...

2013-07-09 23:09:32,993 - astrotortilla - INFO - Reading file "/cygdrive/c/users/simon/appdata/local/temp/solvercsbgrx/1/Capture5.axy"...

2013-07-09 23:09:35,782 - astrotortilla - INFO - Field size: 5.12652 x 4.0811 degrees

2013-07-09 23:09:35,786 - astrotortilla - INFO - Field center: (RA H:M:S, Dec D:M:S) = (16:46:22.521, -32:03:28.317).

2013-07-09 23:09:35,789 - astrotortilla - INFO - Field center: (RA,Dec) = (251.6, -32.06) deg.

2013-07-09 23:09:35,792 - astrotortilla - INFO - Field: /cygdrive/c/Users/Simon/Downloads/Capture5.tif

2013-07-09 23:09:35,796 - astrotortilla - INFO - Field 1 solved: writing to file /cygdrive/c/users/simon/appdata/local/temp/solvercsbgrx/1/Capture5.solved to indicate this.

2013-07-09 23:09:35,802 - astrotortilla - INFO - Field 1: solved with index index-4212.fits.

2013-07-09 23:09:35,805 - astrotortilla - INFO - Hit/miss: +-+++-++(best)----------------------+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------

2013-07-09 23:09:35,811 - astrotortilla - INFO - RA,Dec = (251.59,-32.0537), pixel scale 13.4134 arcsec/pix.

2013-07-09 23:09:35,815 - astrotortilla - INFO - log-odds ratio 28.1428 (1.66819e+12), 6 match, 0 conflict, 2 distractors, 47 index.

2013-07-09 23:09:35,819 - astrotortilla - INFO - Parsing results...

2013-07-09 23:09:36,500 - astrotortilla - INFO - Solved in 7.8s

Many thanks Simon! :)

What's the option where AT tells you what DSO its found? There's a way to do it...

Still downloading the indices :rolleyes: . Don't want to disturb it (had issues downloading them in the past) so looks like its a visual night tonight and my Atik will have to wait a while longer :(

So. You agonise for weeks about a camera and ask loads of questions and then you use clear nights to set up AT ?

You've a sight more patience than me ! :)

Dave

So. You agonise for weeks about a camera and ask loads of questions and then you use clear nights to set up AT ?

You've a sight more patience than me ! :)

Dave

it clouded over in Nottingham as it got dark:( Otherwise I would have been out. Whole East of country under cloud now...

Plate solving is such an incredibly powerful tool. No need for alignement with an EP at all. Polar align, get an approx focus, select an object, plate solve. Fine focus. Job done. Imaging.

Thats why to me worth the effort of getting AT set up correctly. I am still downloading the 4202-xx series, the ones that solved the image for Simon.

Hope this is not too off-topic, but is there a way of giving AT a 'hint' as to where the image is taken? My main scope/camera setup gives an image size of about 30'x22', but I usually have a pretty good idea of the area of sky I am looking at, so being able to say "it's between 15h & 16h RA and between +10 and +20 DEC" would presumably shorten the time needed to solve the image considerably. I've got a whole load of positions at the top of the screen, all set to zero, but can see no way of amending them.

Thanks.

Yes, the "search radius" tells AT to not bother searching indices further than X number of degrees away from where the scope is currently pointing - which it knows of course because ASCOM tells it. The default is 180, i.e. 180 degrees to the left or the right of curent scope position (in other words the entire sky). Setting this parameter correctly can cut down solve time since you dont have to search completely irrelevant indices. Many set this to 45, i.e 45 degrees either side of current. If your initial goto is miles out (i.e. outside of that 45 degrees) plate solving will not work.

It really is a fickle piece of software is AT. I have now got it all installed. Yet the very same picture it took you guys a few secs to solve does not solve at all on my laptop with exactly the same settings! Doh....... too tired. Will come back with fresh eyes tomorrow.

Kirkster, I got the same error as you (I've just installed AT on a new laptop as well). I realised I hadn't gone through the install process for cygwin. So I ran the Cygwin Setup shortcut from the AT folder in the start menu and now it's solving!

Archived