Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

red acetate

Howdy

Quick question:

Will this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acetate-micron-Clear-Coloured-Film/dp/B00A6GVLKG

...do the same as this...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/red-filters-for-laptop.html

...for preserving my dark adapted vision? I know the cheap stuff would be flimsier but I have velcro tape! Also if it works I could trick out my laptop, head mounted light, torch, phone etc for £4. Oh, and the neighbour's security light. Although it might melt. :p

Cheers

Hey there. That should do the job just fine. I use lighting gel's myself on my laptop, iphone, powertank and headlamp. Still have some spare and it only cost about £3 for a roll.

Just wish I could sort my neighbors lights aswell.

If you search online there are free software programs that turn your laptop screen red to preserve your dark adapted vision. I cant think of any off hand, but i know Stellarium and SkySafari have a function to do it while you are inside and using the program. Both are great programs.

I think the free software to completely turn your laptop red whatever program you are in is called redshift..........or something. I may be wrong. It came free on the cover disc of the sky at night mag a few yrs ago. Maybe someone else can give the correct name.

If all else fails..............a sheet of red acetate will do nicely. Very cheaply bought from any arts and hobby shop.

I find that using a sheet of something takes off the glare that just turning the program red can't eliminate. Its quite noticeable if you use some red sheet on a tablet or smart phone (touchscreen functions still tend to work through it).

That's about the size of the one i was thinking of, but the one i had in mind is free.

A sheet of red acetate is cheaper than that program. 3-4 quid in and arts/hobby shop

In rather large letters on the page ........ :p

post-21219-0-28171800-1373241955_thumb.p

Will it do the same?

It will redden your white lights if thats what you want, but it wont do the same. Those purpose cut screens are excellent and long lasting.

I use Red Lane Marking tape from Maplins for reddening other lights, including my cars lights at SPs etc. But I wouldn't be without the red screen from FLO ;)

No worries Paul , it happens to us all at some point ...

I know i'm going deaf. I didnt think i was going blind too.

LMAO.

Ive installed it on my new laptop and i dont even use my laptop for astronomy.

I think im a software hoarder.

It's not as good as a sheet of Rubylith it's true but it's pretty good.

To be honest though the best way of protecting your dark adaption is to use a dim red torch and printed charts and leave the laptop / phone etc indoors away from the scope , even a 'redded out' laptop will do more harm than good.

To be honest though the best way of protecting your dark adaption is to use a dim red torch and printed charts and leave the laptop / phone etc indoors away from the scope , even a 'redded out' laptop will do more harm than good.

Some people (me included) love their tech way too much though and don't want to faff around with printed out sheets that only show a part of the sky, when they can have stellarium almost at the EP. Once Iv found my target I then put the laptop on standby or something anyway, is to get me there but once Im there its done its job :)

Also our printer is rubbish beyond belief, even though its brand new.

Some people (me included) love their tech way too much though and don't want to faff around with printed out sheets that only show a part of the sky, when they can have stellarium almost at the EP. Once Iv found my target I then put the laptop on standby or something anyway, is to get me there but once Im there its done its job :)

Also our printer is rubbish beyond belief, even though its brand new.

I don't even have a printer! I have a typewriter! Seriously though, I use my lappie for imaging on a webcam and tethered to a DSLR so I need it with me really.

Thanks again everyone.

If you're using the laptop for imaging outside you'll have no need of a red screen , you'll want it nice and bright for focusing and framing etc , been there done that ... :p

I've just realised how obvious this is!!! :rolleyes:

Archived