NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How big is the Veil?

ollypenrice

Using just our own FSQ106/Atik11 meg (because I'm still faffing with a pier for Tom's, now abiding here) I made a quick start on a new widefield Veil. The Southern half has 4X30 minutes and the top half 5x30 mins. That's at F5. I thought I'd left room for the tail in the S half but it looks like I cropped it a bit. Curses! But it's the top half that gave me a buzz this morning when I stretched it. Though faint, there are clearly Ha structures going out of this image to the North, some maybe associated with the remnant. (For example, trace the line of the Broom northwards and I suspect it goes up beyond this framing.) I found this exciting.

Also, isn't it intruiging the way so many of the structures duplicate themselves. There's a second Broom Handle and various parallel shock fronts.

This is not a final image. No flats for a start and the harsh stretch is just designed to reveal what needs going after with more time. Still, I think this is a lot of sky for 4.5 hours. I like the setup. Calibration in Astro Art using a Defect Map and bias. No flats yet, no noise reduction, just DBE.

Ha%20VEIL%20TEST-XL.jpg

Big one; http://ollypenrice.s...tjbz3w&lb=1&s=O

The endgame is an HaOIII RGB image.

Olly

I used a 105mm FL lens with the Atik 314L+ when I last imaged the Cygnus Loop with a FOV of 9.3 x 7 degrees. Here's a quote from my last image.

Pretty good clear skies last night and I managed to capture another dozen or so Ha 15m subs. Also a 20m SII but comparing it with Ha there seemed to be no difference except in the background so I concentrated on Ha for the unattended run after midnight. Now have 29 x 15m Ha plus 14 x15m OIII subs which I stretched in PS then aligned in Registar. The resulting two images were combined and processed in PS. Ha to Red, OIII to Green and OIII + 25% Ha to Blue. I found the camera rotation had changed a bit so the image needed cropping a bit.

post-13131-0-10000800-1370254080_thumb.p

So even with the 11000 chip this is a mosaic? Oh my!! Imagine how long this would take for the rest of us!! The veil is HUGE. It's nice to see it like this and appreciate the sheer size of it. Normally we have little to go on with regards size.

I am looking forward to seeing this completed!

Wow, it seems to go on forever. The structure to the north is much more clearly seen in the big image provided by the link, so people interested in this

should be encouraged to click on it and see the big version,

E.

Superb Olly. You're getting good with these 'little' mossie's. All you have to do now is repeat everything to get the other channels (or were they whirring away on another mount at the same time?)

Superb Olly. You're getting good with these 'little' mossie's. All you have to do now is repeat everything to get the other channels (or were they whirring away on another mount at the same time?)

They soon will be!

Gina, thanks for the link. I have indeed docked its tail!

Sara, yes, 2 panels in Landscape with good overlap.

Olly

Archived