NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finding the Whirlpool Galaxy

I'm trying to get adventuresome with my telescope and the other night I was checking out Mizar and Alcor when I decided to search for some of the galaxies that hang around Ursa Major. Specifically I was trying to get the Whirlpool galaxy. I was able to locate Alkaid with ease, but at that point I get lost trying to find the other pointer star that gets me in the vicinity. I am using a smaller 4.5in reflector and low mag wide view lenses.

I understand I am looking for at best a nice white blob, but I was wondering if anyone had any viewing tips and especially tips for locating it.

So far I have had 2 nights of clear skies with no moon, so I am shooting for a third if possible!

Clear skies~

I cannot see or think of another star that would act as a "pointer" with Alkaid.

M51 seems to be sort of below Alkaid and M101 above it, but as Alkaid is at the end of the Plough there doesn't seem to be anything to use with it to act as a pointer.

Best I could think of is Alkaid to what I think is Cor Caroli and M51 would be 1/4 to 1/3 way down, but that line looks incorrect to intersect with M51. Cor Caroli is part of Canes Venatici but most of the stars are pretty faint.

Changed Procyon to Cor Caroli,

Hi from the UK. Is your location 'upper midwest' in the US ? Happy July 4 :smiley:

Don't know what type of finder you have on the scope, but here is a chart for M51 http://freestarchart...y-spiral-galaxy (scroll down)

It's not the best time of year for finding M51 with the light evenings. You will need to wait until around 23.30 before you stand a chance.

You may well have been looking at it, without seeing it, as at low power with a modest aperture it will be hard to spot. Try as best you can to point the scope in the right place, about 1/5 of the distance from Alkaid to Cor Caroli, and a bit north of that line.

I use a red dot finder myself, works well for me, but not everyone.

Once you think you are in the right location, and if you cannot see it, try medium power (60 - 100x). At that power, although the visible field is reduced, the sky background is darker, and the contrast between galaxy and sky is greater. Pan around a bit. You need to be as dark adapted as poss, and a moonless and transparent sky ups your odds of success.

You always know for sure when you've found M51 because you will see two fuzzy patches, the companion is NGC 5195, so buy one, get one free :laugh:

If you cannot find M51, have a look at Cor Caroli, a lovely double star.

Good luck, Ed.

Edit - M94 on the finder chart is a lot brighter and easier to spot.

' a nice white blob ' - be prepared for a faint grey smudge ! It is one of the better galaxies to see in a small telescope though and will be easier to view when the skies get darker. Good luck in your search.

andrew

I understand I am looking for at best a nice white blob

As mentioned above, this could be the problem. Even in my 8inch Newt, M51 is nothing more than a grey smudge, that is barely there at all. Use the chart that Ed linked too in his post is your best bet, as there arn't alot of guide stars in that area of the sky to help out.

I failed to make anything of M51 and M101 with the 120ED last night. M51 is, as noted above, nearly 1/3 the way from Alkaid to Cor Caroli, but about 2/3 of the way is M63 (Sunflower Galaxy) which I was able to pick up. M81 and M82 at the other end of the plough are much easier to see and can be viewed as a nice pair.

My first viewing of M51 and M101 come about when i put a Telrad on the scope, used the free maps and they were both fairly easy to find, the best view i remember for M51 being 2 cats eyes with a bit of grey round them, although this time of the year i doubt i would get the same view.

You wont have much luck with M51 with a small scope at this time of year, unless you have exceptional skies and at the darkest point of the evening . I did manage to get it in Bin's last winter but it was just a small smudge and i had to use averted vision, Tried to find M101 but never had any luck with bins for some reason :smiley:

I've found that if I can't see the star(24 canum venaticorum) under the end of the big dipper(alkaid) my chance of seeing M51 is not good.I just go down & a little to the left of 24 canum....& can find it most everytime.I think that star is about mag 4.6,so for me if I can't see it with my eyes I go look for something else.

Well just to update, I think I found the Whirlpool Galaxy. To be honest, it was a barely visible "whispy smudge" if that makes sense. Seeing conditions were not the greatest and I am half determined to declare war on my neighbor's porch light. I have been using Turn Left at Orion, which is a wonderful resource.

Aside from that, it was a good experience trying to understand what to look for and attempting averted vision. To finish things off, I spent the rest of the night looking at Saturn.

Thanks everyone for all your input!

~Clear Skies

I looked at M51 early this morning around 00:30 it was very faint 2 grey smudges, nothing like the winter DSO........my garden has no outside lighting and there are no street lamps the northern sky had finally gone dark.

Yes, light pollution / neighbors can bee troublesome...

The view is so different from my balcony art this time of the year compared to three months ago and half a mile outside the city... I was surprised what 5" can show under mediocre conditions, but I had to observe M51 a while to make out more then faint smudges.

Well just to update, I think I found the Whirlpool Galaxy. To be honest, it was a barely visible "whispy smudge" if that makes sense. Seeing conditions were not the greatest and I am half determined to declare war on my neighbor's porch light. I have been using Turn Left at Orion, which is a wonderful resource.

Aside from that, it was a good experience trying to understand what to look for and attempting averted vision. To finish things off, I spent the rest of the night looking at Saturn.

Thanks everyone for all your input!

~Clear Skies

Glad you seem to have had success. Your neighbours porch light..........If they are reasonable people, it may be worthwhile speaking to them about it. Most folk won't be aware that their lights could be a problem. Let them know you are outside at night with your telescope trying to see faint objects, and nearby lights spoil your dark adaption. Most people will understand that, if explained in a calm way.

I have an arrangement with next door. A quick phone call, and they close the curtains to stop light streaming out. I feed their cat when they are away, saves them cattery fees, so we both win.

Regards, Ed.

Always best in the winter when its nice and dark, Beans4.... Can you not take your gear to a dark site?... Or maybe Knockout your neighbours light one night lol.. Maybe the way forward is to have a chat with him... He maybe very reasonable or not... Then a suggest you give him a Glaswegian kiss :grin: .. I have a neighbour like that, i have told him time and time again about his light annoying me and spoiling my views but he insisted that he keeps it on as the ships depend on it :grin: :grin: :grin:

Ha, well Glaswegian kisses aside, i still have it pretty good! I live in rural northern Illinois. All in all, I have a pretty sweet view of the sky - weather pending. The worst offenders are the occasional ag-style buildings (grain silos, whatnot) that produce the most sky glow, and even then it is minimal. A half mile jaunt out of the village and I am in complete darkness. Now, I have had to drive into Chicago on occasion and it is awful to see the orange sky about me at night. I really should not be complaining about porch lights. At the moment my observing is home based since I have a toddler in house and my wife's schedule does not always match up to good observing weather, so it places me within earshot of the house with a wireless monitor while my kid sleeps. I think I am going to try my luck at some of the nice star clusters available this time of your.

Still, I can't wait for colder weather and Orion to reemerge along with the Pleiades and Jupiter. Some new eyepieces in tow and I think it is going to be a good fall.

Thanks again!

Archived