Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggestions To Quieten Down CG5 GT Mount

As I have a permanent setup I wanted a portable mount so purchased a Celestron CG5 GT mount which was on offer at the Astronomy show. It is a lot noisier when slewing than I expected so was wondering if any one had done any mods on this type of mount to make it quieter. I know I have been spoilt with my NEQ6 which is really quiet but I would not want to be slewing the Celestron mount at night disturbing the neighbours.( yes its that loud )

So any suggestions to quieten this thing down would be appreciated. Otherwise it clutches off swinging to target then tracking rather defeating the point of a Go To mount.

Is there an option for setting a maximim slew rate?

Usually they go at full belt, say rate = 10, and if a maximim of 8 is set then they tend to be a lot quieter.

It is normally this attempt to go as fast as possible that is the cause of the excessive noise.

Probably have to go and read the manual - a terriable thing but occasionally there is no other option.

Will also throw in that I seem to recall people saying thay are noisy, I don't own one but the recollection is there.

Yep - they are very noisy! How about a bath mat slung over the mount whilst it is slewing?

It's probably a perception thing. Sounds loud when you are stood next to it (I have one) but I doubt anyone not stood out in their garden right next door would hear it.

Indoors - forget it.

Perhaps a bedroom with an open window close by? They would have to be extremely light sleepers. If that's a concern - bath mat.

Cheers.

Ian

Well its not nicknamed the coffee grinder for nothing.

i also worried about the noise waking my neighbour, who is also my landlord, so I tested it.

Set it up and once I had instructed my wife on its operation I went up to our bedroom and listened whilst she slewed it. Couldn't hear a thing, even when stood right by the window, as long as nobody has their windows open and know I'm not disturbing anyone.

I, too, have wanted a solution to this fast, not so quiet, slew to speed issue - I have just found out that the default slew speed CAN be changed on certain CG5 Advanced GT handset versions. Please have a look at my post on the following link. Any comments / follow up would be welcome. There may be an easier way but this one is working for me!! http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/189622-adjusting-default-slew-speed-on-cg5-advanced-gt-mount/

Well tried Nibor's suggestion and it works' set at rate one it is reasonably quiet and not to slow in slewing as its only acting as a portable mount that will do for me. Any one else who wants a quieter mount should try it. ( Thanks Nibor )

Well tried Nibor's suggestion and it works' set at rate one it is reasonably quiet and not to slow in slewing as its only acting as a portable mount that will do for me. Any one else who wants a quieter mount should try it. ( Thanks Nibor )

Mog,Very pleased it has worked for you!!

Now has anyone got a way to quieten a DSLR shutter mechanism? My neighbours were drunk in their garden following a party at 3am and my camera was freaking them out. "Shhh, did you hear that? Someone's taking photos of us" etc. Brilliant.

I do not think you will have much success in quietening your shutter mechanism other than to wrap the camera is some sound absorbent material. Getting a bit ridiculous when you have to consider taking things to that extent. But perhaps your neighbours parties are few and far between and they leave you in peace in the interim periods. As the start of this thread was concerning the noise from the CG5, Astro_Baby`s strip down of the mount, clean, adjust and re-grease, if I recall helps to improve matters to a greater extent :)

Archived