Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adjusting Default Slew Speed on CG5 Advanced GT Mount

Nibor

Like many other users I wanted to reduce the GOTO default slew speed on my Celestron CG5 Advanced GT mount:-

1. In order to reduce the slew noise level as, although it was not overly loud, the location of the mount on my balcony meant that two corner side walls had the effect of magnifying the sound.

2. I felt that the slew speed was a bit too fast for my 10” Orion Optics UK Newtonian and I wanted a more gentle speed so I would have time to prevent any potential tube / mount collision.

The instruction manual (P25) outlines the Rate Button function but does not explain how to change the default slew speed. Having exchanged several emails with the Celestron Support Team I have tried to distil what I have learned into a guide as to how to carry out the operation.

I wanted to put it down in writing in case I couldn't fully remember the procedure in the future and also to share it with anyone who may have similar concerns as myself. I have attached a PDF file which I hope will explain the procedure. Please read all the instructions (checking your handset version first ) before trying to change the slew speed ratios. The steps have worked on my mount but if you follow them then it is at your own risk!!! GC5 Slew Speed adjustment RK.pdf

Archived