NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturns rings resolved in bino's?

Joves

Hi guys,

I was just out for a few minutes looking around the sky with my Canon 18x50's and noticed Saturn directly above. Upon bringing it into view, I was extremely surprised to see that I could quite easily resove it's rings. I didn't think this was possible with only 18x magnification?! Was tiny, yes, but clear as day!

I then took a look through my Mini Giant 9x63's and, whilst it was still a nice clear view, seeing the rings was a definite NO CHANCE! The planet was obviously considerably smaller, but it was the shake in the image that made it impossible to really resolve any detail.

I took another look through the Canon's to make sure it wasn't just my imagination, and BAM... Clear space between the body and rings again. And then, just to ice the cake, faintly to the bottom right, there was Titan. Not bad for non-mounted viewing. Just goes to show the effectiveness of image-stabilisation... Double the mag and less than half the shakes. I'm very happily impressed!

Definitely possible. On Monday night I managed to see Saturn's rings with my 32mm TV plossl which gives ~20x, so it is most certainly possible :)

Nice one spotting them at that mag, Saturn is certainly tiny at 20x, nevermind 15x/18x.

Yeah, I was very surprised. Don't get me wrong, it didn't make my jaw drop like the very first time I saw her in a telescope (Saturn that is... The next door neighbour makes my jaw drop every time I observe her through the bino's :-) ... Kidding!!!), but it was definitely a pleasant shock!

Funniest thing is... At first I was looking at it thinking "oh yeeeeeeeaah, I can definitely make out the shape!" and... I had them pointed at ARCTURUS!!! Haha... What an idiot! I think that may have played part in how clearly Saturn came out... Once I actually looked at it!

Until a few weeks ago, I would have insisted that it was impossible to see dark space between the ansae and Saturn's disc in a 15x70, and that the best you could hope for was an "odd" shape. However, on the evening of 26 May, I had the Helios Apollo tripod-mounted for observing the triple appulse (Jupiter, Venus, Mercury) and later turned around to look at Saturn. In moments of steady seeing, the dark space was definitely there (confirmed by others present). It was not visible in a Celestron Skymaster 15x70.

Conclusion: with decent optics and a steady mount, it is definitely possible at 15x and, I would imagine, down to about 12x -- now there's a challenge! :laugh:

Well done, that man.

It's not only magnification, visual acuity and skill are also factors here.

There are , so I have heard, observers who can make out the elongated form of saturn, the Galilean moons of Jupiter and phases of Venus with the unaided eye!!

Who knows an individuals limitations with some low power optical aid??

Thanks Paul.

The visual acuity sounded like something I could believe I somehow possibly had, but the skill... That's taking it a bit far for this this little duck! :)

You raise a great point though... I wonder how much detail the average person could make out if they really studied an object long enough, unaided? I can't help but think memory and imagination might start coming into play for those who have seen these things with a little optical help before...

Maybe if Saturn was directly above here, we may stand a chance,

but here it's to low down, the best I get is an oval shape, it must be

a great feeling to see Saturn through bins, I'm afraid I have to use

the scope, plus some cloudless nights might help.

That's true, Ron. Saturn was practically overhead, which didn't necessarily help with keeping steady or comfortable, but it did assist with the view. Also, whilst light pollution is always an issue from where I am, the seeing last night was really quite good.

221B, hope your bins arrive, the skies clear, and you get in a good weekend of stargazing!

I have also resolved them with the 15x70s,
Given that, Michael, do you agree with my guess that, given decent seeing and excellent optics, glimpsing dark space between the disc and the ansae might be possible at x12? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

Given that, Michael, do you agree with my guess that, given decent seeing and excellent optics, glimpsing dark space between the disc and the ansae might be possible at x12? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

Difficult to say. This would also depend critically on your own visual acuity. Mine is 1.6, so my eyes (once properly corrected with glasses) are 60% sharper than average (quite common in myopia). My result at 15x70 might have everything to do with that. I did once look at Saturn with my 80mm at 12x using the TMB Paragon 40mm, but do not recall seeing the dark area clearly, I just swapped up to higher mag immediately.

Archived