SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ok, first DSLR camera

Mr_Si

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah... and I have several modded 1100Ds to sell :D

Yeah that did cross my mind Gina I though you might still have a few tucked away :D Unfortunately this camera will need to serve as both daytime and astro camera for a while as I can't really stretch to keeping my 350D as well.

Yeah that did cross my mind Gina I though you might still have a few tucked away :D Unfortunately this camera will need to serve as both daytime and astro camera for a while as I can't really stretch to keeping my 350D as well.

Ah right Chris - though with just a filter mod you could use "custom white balance" or an OWB filter to correct the colour. If anyone wants just a filter modded 1100D (alias Rebel T3) I can remove the cold finger and replace the back.

Or ......you could just buck the trend, buy a Nikon and a progamable intervalometer http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d3c27e6ea I do DSLR work and have never used a Canon camera or any camera control software. In fact the intervalometers are very useful if you don't want to be tethered to a PC (e.g. remote sites). Check my sig link for non Canon work!

Congrats on going for something different... I have in the past as well using DSLR's from several manufactiurers before eventually falling into the "Canon Trap".... I never thought I would but I did...

And I never thought I'd be back in the MS Windows trap - but I am :D Unfortunately all the best software seems to be for W platform only :( I was hoping W7 would be as reliable as Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX but it isn't :(

Shame on those mainstream software developers!

I have to say those choice of going either way is probably the biggest, esp now that the technology gap between the 2 manufacturers is much closer than ever.

I have to say that I have a habit of making things more difficult by going against the tide in a lot of things of my technological life.

I'm still considering. I haven't set a budget officially, but I guess for a body only I'd go between 200 and 300.

Why can't there be a device that has all the decent specs at that price?

Today I was thinking about the nikon d5100 because a flip out screen could be useful when using live view...

I might one day make a decision.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ah right Chris - though with just a filter mod you could use "custom white balance" or an OWB filter to correct the colour. If anyone wants just a filter modded 1100D (alias Rebel T3) I can remove the cold finger and replace the back.

Good point! this may well eventually happen :)

I have skimmed through the thread and seen excellent advice all round, so I really just want to put my two pee worth in as they say.

After using a Canon 300D for astro and normal photo - and not used control software (those remote timers for a tenner with LCD's are very handy!!) I have to say it was a decent camera especially for the price of used EOS models. Also, with the filter mod and the russian hack for MLU and 3200 ISO its a great way to image DSO's.

However, since getting hold of a entry level Nikon D3100 it was immediately clear that the more recent dSLR from both Manufacturers have a huge edge on the old 6 or 8 Mpxl cameras, and if you want to do normal photography with the same DSLR as astro then the recent models are again a big improvement (I know its not about old vs new but the difference is worth mentioning)

I LOVE my Nikon d3100 very much after just a few days of using it. It is feature packed, the kit 18-55mm lens is also amazing if a kit is in your budget.

But mostly, it is usable with a timer remote on bulb, has liveview that includes a mirror lock type function and is very lightweight and compact not to mention the 14mpxl sensor and a pretty high def movie mode.

While clearly I havent tried many other dslr's for comparison, its also clear that the Nikons are every bit as high class and versatile as Canons and with the programmable timer/remote cable the software issues are not that restrictive.

I was gobsmacked when I saw the huge file sizes of NEF(RAW) compared to the 300D - 80meg TIFFs and 15meg JPEGS compared to 6meg RAW and 1meg jpegs from the 300D.

I'd say get the newer model whichever brand - and Nikon are only restrictive if you depend on the software for everything.

A quick first light test shot d3100: post-18772-0-17677000-1372525133_thumb.j

Regards

Aenima

My vote is for Canon, I have the 400D and just recently, so recently I have not had a chance fir a real play as I am away on business, the 650D which I bought through Telescope Service as I wanted it mod'd.

What ever you get get one with live view and a screen that can fold out to a convenient viewing angle, that will save you doing yoga at the 'scope when it is in use.

What's the 1100D like for NON astro?

I do want to take photos of birds in flight, macros of butterflies and flowers etc and other animal photos.

Most modern DSLR cameras are fine at terrestrial photography. Lenses make the difference. However, I have been a die-hard EOS fan since they were introduced back in film days with an EOS 600 and currently use a 5D MK1

For me this is the best camera money can buy secondhand. Full frame and a 'proper' viewfinder make all the difference when mated to good quality fast lenses.

What makes a good astro-imaging DSLR may not be best suited for stills photography unless your budget can stretch.

So for stills get a 5D . if you need video and live-view go for a 7D. For astro stuff get a proper DMK or an Opticstar CCD

My opinion on the 1100D? cheap and plasticky :wink:

On a scope a lighter weight body can be an advantage especially if your using the stock focuser...

But for terrestrial use I prefer my DSLR"s and lenses to be built to last...

A full frame sensor takes some filling even with the smaller crop sensors you will need to take and use flats to handle the vignetting...

Peter...

Archived