NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tuesday morning's sun in Ha (25/3/13)

DrRobin

Hi,

I saw the forecast last night so got up a bit earlier to get a quick capture before going to work. The weather wasn't actually in my favour there was high cloud/mist which did for the seeing, still managed a full disc in single stack and full disc in double stack and a promising mosaic of 6 panels, which I am having problems getting the last panel to stitch due to the lack of anything much in the way of surface features. I might hand stitch this in.

All images Lunt 60, DMK41, SS & DS, 0.8x FR for the full disc and 1.5x barlow for the mosaic. Stacked in AS!2 and sharpened in Paint.net.

Robin

Single stack

AS_p20_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-25-6-13-ss-0x5-b.jpg

AS_p20_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-25-6-13-ss-0x5-c.jpg

Double stack

AS_p20_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-25-6-13-ds-0x5-1_b.jpg

AS_p20_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-25-6-13-ds-0x5-1_c.jpg

Thanks Michael, best of luck this afternoon, it has clouded up here so this morning was my only chance.

By auto-stitching in MS ICE and manually adding the last segment, I managed to get my double stack 6 pane mosaic to work, copy below.

Robin

AS_p20_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-25-6-13-ds-1x5-1-6_stitch-b.jpg

AS_p20_Multi_Drizzle15_Sun-25-6-13-ds-1x5-1-6_stitch-c.jpg

Finally, I wanted to compare the double stack with the single stack, so put the two on one picture, single stack on the left, double on the right, same processing used on both.

Robin

Sun-25-6-13-ss-ds-shoot-out.jpg

Thats a lovely mosaic Robin. Like yourself, I found out that stitching/merging panels that have no distinctive feature is troublesome. Thats why my mosaic attempt fell apart. There wer a couple of panels with no significant detail for photomerge to align with, so it kept puting them in the wrong place.

You did a good job of stitching the awkward panel.

I got a quick test of my new LS60 ha DS filter today. Double stacking certainly does increase the detail, as can be seen in the comparison pic. There is a lot going on in the crater of the big AR that was formed by the flare a few days ago. I just wish I'd had time to image it before I was clouded out again. Hopefully I get a chance before it goes away.

Yes, the two full discs do look a little over-sharpened. I think there was more mist when I took those and in an attempt to improve the image have over done it. I will go back and re-work them, it will update the originals when I do it as they are linked.

Robin

Archived