Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet ISON update!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The proof that comet ISON disintegrated is in the direction of the 'tail' after perihelion. It's not facing away from the Sun, as it would do if made of smaller particles, but is almost perpendicular to the orbit. This is larger chunks drifting outward into a wider orbit.

One consolation of all the material from ISON is a potential meteor shower ( around mid January when Earth crosses the inbound path of ISON ) . More interesting would be crossing the outbound material.

One consolation of all the material from ISON is a potential meteor shower ( around mid January when Earth crosses the inbound path of ISON ) . More interesting would be crossing the outbound material.

http://news.astronomie.info/ai.php/201311105

You have to translate it from German and it reads weird but one Russian guy seems convinced.

I have no clue of the validity of this guys credentials though.

The source isn't woo either for what it's worth.

More interesting would be crossing the outbound material.

Like this...

http://news.astronomie.info/ai.php/201311105

Basically a Russian scientist connected with the Pulkowo Observatory claims that "the debris cloud of ISON has changed trajectory now, is heading for Earth and threatening a dangerous meteorite hail in early January"  :eek:

The fact that its taken nearly 6 hours to even look to have significantly move position in the C3 imahe makes me wonder wether it will

GO anywhere at all, the bright bits in the centre are long gone and it appears to be drifting rather slowly.

Makes me suspect that the bits were small enough to be slowed by the medium of the outer Corona (it seems to have lost momentum in time with its dimming today)

and are now drifting as a cloud and no kind of discrete grouping.

This probably has been a goner since just before perihelion.

Apparently the tail dust particles from the inbound loop are too small for " meteoric streaks in the sky" but should produce layers of noctilucence in the new year.

So it looks like we may see Comet Ison into January after all

Mick

Just taken a look outside to see if there is anything visible in the southeast, or to try and locate Lovejoy again and guess what?  Yes, the clouds have rolled in.  I can make out a crescent moon just above the horizon.

Same thing on the Isle of Wight Martin,   clouds everywhere this morning so I did not even leave the house.

(ate porridge instead)

I Looked through the rescent Lasco images and it took between 06:30 and 08:30 for the cloud that was a comet to pass

across the edge of the FOV.

Seeing M4 down by antares in the Soho/Lasco images however, has brought to mind a new annual challenge/marathon as

we obviously dont have enough of these.....

The Lasco C3 Messier challenge.

You sit in your house all year, and see how many messier objects pass close to the sun through Soho's cameras!

There may even be a C2 Challenge (advanced)

Is this the very answer to the UK weather problems that we've all been waiting for? .....surely ?.....

Fair enough, I'll set my alarm and go down to the beach again tomorrow

Mick

Same thing on the Isle of Wight Martin,   clouds everywhere this morning so I did not even leave the house.

(ate porridge instead)

I Looked through the rescent Lasco images and it took between 06:30 and 08:30 for the cloud that was a comet to pass

across the edge of the FOV.

Seeing M4 down by antares in the Soho/Lasco images however, has brought to mind a new annual challenge/marathon as

we obviously dont have enough of these.....

The Lasco C3 Messier challenge.

You sit in your house all year, and see how many messier objects pass close to the sun through Soho's cameras!

There may even be a C2 Challenge (advanced)

Is this the very answer to the UK weather problems that we've all been waiting for? .....surely ?.....

Fair enough, I'll set my alarm and go down to the beach again tomorrow

Mick

Quite a few people discover comets using the SOHO/Stereo cameras.  You don't get it named after you but your name is recorded.

Looking at the last C3 images as ISON disappears are pretty disappointing. I was optimistic at first something had survived, but it looks to me like there is nothing resembling a comet's nucleus left over - just a cloud of debris and perhaps a few small chunks of ex-comet still outgassing. I'm sure by the time ISON is far enough away from the Sun to be visible, even this cloud will have dispersed. As someone who completely missed Comet McNaught in 2006 due to the Lancashire weather I was really looking forward to this one. Annoyingly, I have planned a trip to a local hilltop with my GCSE Astronomy group on Tuesday morning at 630am!

Remember the predictions of magnitude -18 and shining in daylight??? Comet of the Century? This isn't even the dud of the decade - PanStarrs was a much better dud comet than this one. More like the non-event of November!

Yup, been keeping tabs on ISON for ages now, and looks like it is completely dead. Missed panstarrs, didn't see ISON, haven't seen lovejoy or any of the comets knocking about at the moment. Halle Bopp is the only comet I have seen in my lifetime.

I feel Panstarrs got a bit of a hard time (I can talk about it now ISON is dead...too soon?). Easily naked eye for a couple of days after perihelion and just superb through a telescope/binoculars.

Agree with above, catch Lovejoy whilst you can... a lovely fuzzy emerald!

Yup, been keeping tabs on ISON for ages now, and looks like it is completely dead. Missed panstarrs, didn't see ISON, haven't seen lovejoy or any of the comets knocking about at the moment. Halle Bopp is the only comet I have seen in my lifetime.

ISON would have been the 5th naked eye comet of my lifetime after Hyakutake, Hale-Bopp, Holmes and PanStarrs. I never saw McNaught (2006) or Halley (1986) and am too young to remember Comet West.

Hale-Bopp was definitely the best of those I saw by far, above 1st magnitude for many months, and visible throughout much of the night. I'm suprised you didn't catch Comet Holmes in 2007. I remember "independently" discovering it when I noticed a new 2nd magnitude "star" in Perseus - thought it might be a nova until I noticed it was a bit fuzzy!

We are definitely well overdue a decent comet I would say. Still there are things to look forward with the Rosetta mission next year landing on a comet.

I am almost certainly wrong but the remnants do still brighter and larger than say an average galaxy? will it still be brighter than say M33 or M101 from a dark site?

The problem is it will be more than a week before its visible at a reasonable altitude against a dark sky. If the remnant cloud is dispersing only a couple of days after perihelion, I doubt there will be anything left by then, at least not in view of amateur instruments. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Archived