Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What weird things have you seen

scuffer

I got the scope out tonight to have a look at the moon around 9.15 so it was still light and whilst viewing the moon a swathe of dots went across my view , I thought t was midges in front of the scope , realising nothing was in front of the scope I had a look up at the moon and couldn't see anything , looked thru my scope again and could see a mass of yellow and red balloons passing the moon , these couldn't be seen in my 10x50 finder ..... Made my day. Any other things you've seen unexpectedly.

Saturday night, high up in mountains I viewed a smallish patch of heat lightening pulsating so far away I could hear nothing. It didn't last that long but while it did it gave a show of gorgeous flashes of reds, blues, greens and yellow which only added to the night's heavenly joys. Once out in the sticks I saw a flock of storks take flight whilst viewing through an eyepiece. Scared me silly and I think I aged about ten years in that brief moment :confused2:

About 10 years ago ? I was observing Jupiter which was low in the west at the time. The seeing was quite good and I was engrossed by the view when a large object flew in front of Jupiter. It was only a fleeting gimps but was identifiable as the space station :eek: :smiley:

I once thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but once again I was mistaken :(.

I remember the first time I saw a satelite I thought I was so lucky to see something so rare....feeling silly about that now :).

Yet to see iss through the scope but I must admit I enjoy it naked aye.

Not astro related but one of the most amazing things I've ever seen was a cyclonic electric storm when I was living in Northern Queensland around 1982. to see 4 " of rain fall in about an hour and lightning that turned night into day for 3 or 4 seconds at a time was just incredible 3 seconds doesn't sound long but it certainly seems it when you're there

I once saw a Klingon battle ship uncloak and cloak back again in front of the woods when I was observing, that's a rare event this side if the pond.

I looked up a couple of years ago to see a barn owl hovering about 6 ft above my head which was a bit of a surprise.

I looked up a couple of years ago to see a barn owl hovering about 6 ft above my head which was a bit of a surprise.

Now that would have been pretty cool,....maybe not as cool as the klingons but still, pretty cool

Weirdest thing i have seen was a flock of birds (geese) flying over late at night. They appeared as orange points of lights in formation and they changed direction to fly 90 degrees to what they were flying in. They were orange because their bellies were being lit up by the streetlights below.

Truly my only moment of wonder if i had just seen a UFO.

Archived