Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any tip, video astronomers?

emadmoussa

I've been looking around for a video camera with high sensitivity (including a very good night mode and gamma vision) for general sky scanning.

An affordable dedicated astronomical video camera will be ideal. However, I noticed the cheapest on Modern Astronomy is no less than £250. Since I know I won't be deep sky imaging with it per se - I prefer stills - I need one that I can hook to the telescope and leave it to record the night sky for hours. Then download these "time lapse'' videos on my computer and analyze them for anomalies, be it comets, satellites or even identified objects. If I could find a usual HD with high light sensitivity it'll be perfect.

Any ideas?

Have to agree the Samsung 2000p would probably suit your needs with a variable lens. They retail new for around £100 (not including the lens) Or If lucky may get a secondhand one.

There are a few videos on Youtube showing it in action recording meteors and satellites etc.

Cheers Carl

Hi Endamouse

There are many options for video cameras - a lot depends upon your budget. The Samsung SBC2000 and SBC 4000 offer good value for money. The Watec 120n was one of the more sensitive astro specific cameras and then you get into the Mallicam camera which can cost more than Astro CCDs.

All these have composite video out and can be recorded using a variety of methods including PC capture cards.

None of these are HD - they are either PAL or NTSC resolution.

Have a look for "all sky" cameras -

A few people have used the samsung to good effect in this application.

Hope this helps

Paul

Archived